1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pickled Fish

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Jags, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Due to a slightly stupid move on my behalf - I ended up with the top shelf of my upright deep freeze doing a partial thaw. The rest of the freezer stayed solid, but not the top shelf (door was ajar at the top of the freezer).
    I was left with the dilemma of what to do with a whole pile of partially thawed crappie and walleye. An impromptu fish fry came to mind, but it would take 50 people to eat this much fish (I save up for a big fry at the river each year). So I thaw it the rest of the way and get to making a bunch of pickled fish.

Salt bath for two days, then white vinegar bath for two days, then into the jars with the syrup.
    Salt bath:
    pickled1_sm.jpg

Vinegar bath:
    pickle3_sm.jpg

Into the jars:
    pickle5_sm.jpg

I layer fish and sliced onion to full, then fill the jars with the syrup. I used a basic syrup of sugar, vinegar, pickling spice boiled for 5 minutes (then cooled). Hopefully it turns out well. It has to sit for 3 weeks in the fridge. These are NOT canned and are considered a refrigerator pickle. Should safely store for 8 months in the fridge. I got a total of 10 pints and 4 quarts.
    This will yield a firm and mild fish. I actually prefer it over pickled herring.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Got yerself into a real pickle, did ya? :rolleyes:
  3. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    No joke - by the time I was done with that the smell of onion, vinegar and fish was overwhelming. I am estimating about 25 pounds of fish was processed.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Never tried it, Jags.....but sounds good. I am a seafood junkie.....how does it taste?

Good on you for saving all that fish. I know what it takes to catch and fillet a pile of fish, it would've been a shame to lose all that hard work....
  5. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    What I have had in the past was very good stuff. This batch needs to set for about 3 weeks to allow the syrup to do its thing.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I'm fascinated by food preservation methods lately. I have never tried pickled fish of any sort, you have me curious.

I've used the pickling juice out of my pickled garlic scapes in dressing and chimichuri sauce- it's really good stuff!
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    AP - I will let you know how this batch turns out. I suspect it might be a tad on the sweet side (2 cups sugar to 3 cups vinegar). I personally like a vinegar bite on anything pickled. Of course, this can be adjusted once a jar is open by replacing some of the juice with straight white vinegar. Maybe I can figure out a way to ship cold....Hmmmmmm.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  8. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    It'd be a risk, Jags- I'd hate for you to send a jar and it be wasted on me should it disagree with my palate. Like I said- never tried it in my life, and I have a serious aversion to wasting home-grown stuff. Just fascinating, easy process though.

I have a small batch (5#) of saurkraut started, by the way- just maybe 4 days along and some bubbles appearing, with a little sulfur funk just detectable. I will try to start napa cabbage really soon so that I can do a big batch of kimchi when my crock comes out of the fire in 2-3 weeks.
  9. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Loves my homemade kraut.

I am gonna be looking to shove some of this stuff off on people. Thatsallotta pickled fish.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.