Pics for scrounge hounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2009
Northern Virginia
Here's what I've scrounged so far in 2011. It's been easier than in past years. First was a neighbor down the street who had some storm damage from heavy/wet snow in late Jan - got some maple, ash and sycamore from that one. Then a nice CL score not too far from me two weeks ago - got some more maple, oak, and poplar. Finally, on the way home from work yesterday, noticed a tree crew taking down some oaks, stopped and asked what they were doing with the wood. After some botched communications with some of my favorite hispanic brothers, came to the conclusion it would be OK to take it. Didn't have time to do that yesterday, but went back today and got two pickup truck loads. I've lost count, but I'm somewhere around 9-10 pickup truck loads....so by my math, that's about 3 cords. Pics show the bounty. Now to get it split and stacked...coming soon (he said confidently).

Attachments

• DSCF2002a.jpg
    DSCF2002a.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCF2003a.jpg
    DSCF2003a.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCF2005a.jpg
    DSCF2005a.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCF2006a.jpg
    DSCF2006a.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 449
Nice score, Im jealous, I havent had much luck lately but the year is young.

nice and manageable all ive been getting is 2 footers!

weatherguy said:
Nice score, Im jealous, I havent had much luck lately but the year is young.

We have alot of older neighborhoods in my county going through transition, mostly for good. So, many older trees are coming down so folks can "re-landscape" in a way they like (also some of these trees should come down as they have gotten huge and are right next to the house). Plenty of pickins'.

Dieselhead said:
nice and manageable all ive been getting is 2 footers!

I was going out of my way to find smaller more manageable stuff. Especailly on the big oak score today, there was tons of big stuff, but I'm getting tired of killing myself going after the big rounds. Pretty pleased the way things have turned out so far.

Si Senor Archie. You have done very well.

Excellent score Archie. Its a great day when it all works out.

Excellent - good jump early in the year. What year are you planning to burn this? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Excellent - good jump early in the year. What year are you planning to burn this? Cheers!

This is the key question. I took down a massive oak (not me, a pro team) in my yard last April. No way it was going to be good for this winter, I knew that. Maybe good for 2011/2012? Will have to wait and see -I know 2+ years is the way to go if you can. So this winter/early spring, I'm just trying to get something "light" like the maple, ash, sycamore, and poplar so I can have some assurance I have something to burn next winter, but that depends on me getting out there to split and stack ASAP. As for the two loads of oak yesterday, well I just couldn't pass it up, that's definitely not for next winter.

I agree Archie. Last year we bought one of those carports. We also had it totally enclosed and every crew I've seen or heard of putting those things up is Mexican. I have no problem with that and I also remember when I was a young lad we used to raise some sugar beets and hired a crew every year for thinning. Anyway, I have never seen a crew work as hard or as fast as these guys did. I also think they did a great job and we had no problems with them at all. We even gave them cold drinks and a few snacks and they appreciated it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.