Pics new install and Thanks Hearth.com contributors!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotmattk

Sep 20, 2013
I just wanted to post a quick thank you to all the contributors here. I haven't posted previously since all of my questions have been asked/answered in other threads. We recently finished up a zc fireplace replacement. Based on the feedback here the zc fireplace chosen is the Kozy Z-42 it replaced an old Superior unit that we never burned due to obvious draft problems prior to purchasing the home.

The unit is located at the end of the house (not center) so it heats about 75% of our 2700sq/ft very well. We're going to try a different programmable thermostat that will run our central fan 15 mins of every hour in an attempt to even out the temperature. We may need to add one of the little blaze kings to the other end of the house next year.

Attached are some before/after pics.

Thanks again!
-Matt

fireplace before.jpg Fireplace-After.jpg

Wow, what a great looking install. Congratulations! Did you do the work yourself or did you hire someone?

Looks nice Matt, 75% isn't bad at all with that size house, maybe with some experimenting you can get a little better heat coverage in time.

Wow, what a great looking install. Congratulations! Did you do the work yourself or did you hire someone?
I hired out the install to Kozy Heat of Bentonville AR. Labor was a pretty small part of the overall cost (6" excel chimney was a lot of it!). In reading this site, I was prepared to self install but it was worth the $ to not worry if it's right. It took 3 guys a full days work to do the tear down/ install. (Would have probably taken me a month of weekends). The finish work required an additional 2 days and was done by my neighbor, a tile installer.

Pretty!!
Your home value just went up()

Looks fabulous!! Good job and enjoy!

wow that looks great looking to do same within a month getting a osburn2400 insert cant wait will post some pics when its in

Huge improvement. Congratulations. Love the stone and the hearth pad design.

Last edited:
Looks very nice.

Looks great Matt, If you don't mind me asking what is the brick face constructed of ? Sorta looking for some ideas for my own project next spring and I really like that look.

A huge improvement, that is beautiful!

It looks fantastic and that Excel chimney will be standing when/if the house collapses because it is GREAT stuff. Good job, your fireplace is beautiful and I love the stonework around it.

Looks great Matt, If you don't mind me asking what is the brick face constructed of ? Sorta looking for some ideas for my own project next spring and I really like that look.

Todd 2,
The wall is Oxide Slate Ledgestone tile from Lowes. It's a very thin veneer of natural stone. We also like the quartz ledgestone but it blended too much with our walls. It seems all multicolor slate ledgestone tile is similar (some have more variation in stone sizes than others), Home Depot was a little cheaper but always out of stock. The slate is sealed with the DuPont Stonetech High Gloss Finishing Sealer. That product really brought out the color and will make it easy to clean going forward. We did not use a color enhancer as it made our test panel very dark.

The floor tile (American Olean Carslile Black) isn't an exact match since it's porcelain; natural slate was just too flaky for the floor.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I really just wanted to appreciate you for all the information on hearth.com that helped with my project!
-Matt

Reactions: Todd 2
That's a very nice change. It looks great. Did you install the heat duct kit to move heat to the other side of the house?

That's a very nice change. It looks great. Did you install the heat duct kit to move heat to the other side of the house?
Our house has a very open floor plan with high ceilings. The heat ducts are only good to 30' or so. 12' of that would be used to get up above the vaulted ceiling so not much real distance is gained (and it would release the heat up high were not of much use). I could see those being a real benefit to push heat on the other side of a nearby wall or something. We are running a couple of ceiling fans backwards to help keep it even throughout the main part of the house. The heat drops 5+ deg where the house comes to a 36" corridor about 50' from the stove.

Hey this looks great! Im gonna ck out the desert quartz for mine, is it real quartz?

Status
Not open for further replies.