Pics of Maple, Oak, Cherry for next year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
Here are some pics of the start of next year's supply I brought home yesterday. Some maple, oak and cherry. The trees were cut down near the power lines in my neighbor hood, about four houses away. It amounts to about 2 cords and there are about three more left over there. Combined with the rest of the trees that are down around the woods here, I should have 12 cords. This will hopefully be enough for 2-3 seasons.
Thanks for looking!

I hand split some with my 12lb. maul, "big red!"

Attachments

• feb 2009 013.jpg
    feb 2009 013.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 528
  • feb 2009 012.jpg
    feb 2009 012.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 532
  • feb 2009 011.jpg
    feb 2009 011.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 534
  • feb 2009 010.jpg
    feb 2009 010.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 527
  • feb 2009 009.jpg
    feb 2009 009.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 559
Very nice pile of wood. A good few days of work.
Cherry stump your splitting base? Or did it just not want to split?
Do you separate by wood type? I've heard oak take 2 years to season properly.

Quads is going to get you for not having your maul in the picture

Thanks Dave,
Yeah, that cherry didn't want to split, man! I had my feet off the ground as I swung down the big red and that stump just laughed at me, as it bounced the maul off. I just tried to split most of the bigger stumps that couldn't be lifted into the truck. Some of the narly ones I just gave up on. That maul is almost as heavy as my chain saw. I would take breaks after splitting 3-4 logs and go cut for a few minutes. That wood will certainly warm ME up twice!! :) I wanted to throw the maul on the pile for the pictures, but I left it in the guy's garage (where the trees were.) I'l go back there tomorrow to cut for a bit, before the Superbowl, then I'll post a pic with it on there as well as the saw!

I was going to separate the oak. But, I was told by someone on this site, it should be OK to burn next year. As long as, I keep the water off of it and maximize sun and wind exposure for the summer and fall. I'm also thinking of putting the split stuff in my basement. If, I put it in the stove room and dry it for the next couple of months, then move it outside for the next 7-8 months it should be OK. (I hope.) :p We'll see.

VC, that is excellent wood for sure. Good find.

Is that 2 cords or 2 face cords?

Backwoods Savage said:
VC, that is excellent wood for sure. Good find.

Is that 2 cords or 2 face cords?

I estimated almost 2 cords. Probably more like 1 3/4. It's tough to tell when you have a big pile like that :) ! My father in law helped me get it over here. We had two heaping piles on his 8' pick up. I went back to the power lines to do some more work today. My total from that spot should be 4 cords when I'm all done. Then there's a lot more back in the woods surrounding my house. The wood I'm burning this year came from some part time tree work and the downed trees from the December '08 ice Nor'easter. This year supply will be a little different, I'll have to gather as much of the downed trees as possible! Tough thing is I don't have a pick up truck! And I'm laid off so I don't foresee the purchase of one in the near future. I'll keep updating this post with the progress. Gotta love this wood heating thing!

Just an opinion from a gaseous old farmer

Since you are probably gonna have plenty, I would definitely stack the oak separate

Easy to be safe rather than disappointed in burn season...it is a slow seasoner

Separate stack also makes easier to mix those great oakies to fine tine your burns, and have a full oakie load for all niter burn

stint9 said:
Just an opinion from a gaseous old farmer

Since you are probably gonna have plenty, I would definitely stack the oak separate

Easy to be safe rather than disappointed in burn season...it is a slow seasoner

Separate stack also makes easier to mix those great oakies to fine tine your burns, and have a full oakie load for all niter burn

Thanks, I will. Easier to do it now than to pick it out later, if I find it didn't dry enough! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.