pics of my bulk fill delivery (Part A)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Sorry, I had to crop like crazy to fit....Bill

How much did you get?

....a little under 3 tons of the new Vermont Green Mountain Pellets/softwood
Bill

Reactions: bogieb
Those rigs are pretty common in Europe, Scandinavian regions. It sure would be nice here but I can't see it catching on, at least around here.

3650, All of New England use an impressive amount of wood and pellets. This particular company has (I believe, 3 bulk fill trucks) the one in the picture is the smallest and it hold 16 + tons. Most of their bulk fill customers are commercial accounts: schools, businesses, town and government buildings even some churches. My truck devides the state into three sections going all the way north to the Canadian border.
Bill

Pretty cool set up. First pellet delivery truck like that I have seen. They are not doing bulk delivery nowhere around here like that. How long does it take to unload?

Reactions: bostonfan49
Thanks bags! For me about 8-10 min a bag. There are so many variables, type of containers, distance, speed...
They can blast those pellets at near supersonic speed, but then you get mini pellets and dust. They have to get the pellets flowing and then quickly back off the air as much as possible. All the containers have to be vented especially the soft bag type or they will pop like a balloon. You can't really see them but each bag is vented out the top with two soft flexible dryer hoses out one of my basement window along with any airborne dust. Very loud in the basement....
Bill

Reactions: bogieb and bags
Yeh there more use out there I reckon....just not around here. I'd love that convenience. Throw a little corn in there too.

Reactions: bostonfan49
I use VRF for my bulk deliveries too. I love the new green mountain pellets. Last year I burned 14 ton of Vermont softies. Here are a couple pics of my set up. 7f0c4e58519354086272c2028e5cc7b4.jpgb8b0c2c7998b594a268fcd346de0b911.jpg

Very nice! 14 tons! What kind of space are you heating???
Bill

Yeah, X2 on the 14 tons. Wow! That is some serious pellet pigging. I thought my 7 tons last year with only the P68 running was fairly hefty at half of what you burned. But as I look around there are some others in the 7-8 ton range.

Your 14 tons is the most I have seen or read about so far. Impressive! That many I'd definitely want bulk delivery as an option.

Thanks guys. I use them to heat my entire house and DHW. 22 cast iron radiators that are a converted steam system; I can't even imagine how much water is flowing through this giant pipes lol. 3700 Sqft but fairly tight so I consider myself lucky that last year was only 14. Not a lot of savings this year with oil at $2.02 but still a little, plus I'm supporting a local business!

3,700 SQ FT is plenty of space to heat and makes sense. I did 2,350 SQ FT of the two level core here with the 7 tons. I have more SQ FT that can be done here and that's why I've added the PC45 but we close areas down that are not used a lot. I feel for you heating that much space. OUCH! All said and done we are just at over 4,000 SQ FT here. Too dang much space and once the kids fly the coup we intend to down size.

I see you are really running a pellet furnace vs. a stove or two. What kind of inside temps are you maintaining? I am set up with radiant floor and also thru my forced air system for water heat and my water heater on my OWB. I could convert all of this to a pellet furnace deal I suppose and had I not been in a rush for a quicker fix might have gone that route. Any suggestions?

It's is a pellet burner on a triple cast 4 section Biasi boiler. I still have my oil boiler in line and I have it set to kick in to supplement if the water temp doesn't reach a target temp within an hour. Right now I have it set on 130 degrees as kind of a back up system in case my pellet boiler errors out. Last year it kicked on a couple of the coldest days and I also would switch it over to oil when cleaning or on days I am scheduled to get my bulk delivery just so the incoming air doesn't cause issues to my burner. I think I used 50 gallons last year.

It can maintain whatever temps I ask for the most part, depending on how long it runs. I keep my thermostat on 67 while we are home and 64 when we aren't and that's plenty warm with the radiant heat. It's nice that even when the boiler isn't running the rads stay warm for quite a while.

I would def recommend the system. I have heard a lot of great things about the pellergy alpha system as well. Mine is the pb-1525 but the alpha is a modulating self contained unit. It even is self cleaning. It came out right around the same time as I was installing and I was worried about all the moving parts. It is probably the better option though.

Here is a link to the pellergy products!

http://vermontrenewablefuels.com/products.html

Ben

I have a camp on Hedges lake and family in Cambridge. Small world. :)

Small world indeed. I love hedges although I spend more time on cossyuna since friends of our have a place. Burger den is a staple for us[emoji3]

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Thanks Ben

So the price per ton delivered was $282 per ton! Green Mountain softies fromVermont Renewable Fuels. I think it's a fair price given that it's delivery includes the equivelant of carrying 140 plus bags down into my basement and then stacking them. So far the heat is the same as the old Vermont softies and also very low ash.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.