Pics of my dirty flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkatzman

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2007
Upstate NY
Greetings,
For those of you who did not have the pleasure of following the developments of my thread "Cawley Lemay 600 can't break 250 degrees" it is very probable that I have burnt about 30 hours worth of not fully seasoned/dry wood...

So I figured I'd hope on the ladder, climb above my uninsulated mud room (where most of the 13-15 foot chimney runs through) and take a look at my flue. After removing the cap I noticed a very thin coat of mildly shiny black substance (looked a lot like shoe leather) running the length of the flue. I have heard so much about creosote, so wanted to get everyone's opinion if this is indeed creosote, if so how bad it is (clean it now, clean it next week, clean it next month) and if this could have any effect on my inability to break 250 degrees.

If it isn't too bad I am going to experiment with a bag of dried wood that I can get at the supermarket and a new stovepipe thermostate (someone said that there is a possibility of the arrow sticking, thus not giving an accurate reading).

Most likely I will have a sweep out to clean the flue and figure out why I can't break 250 (other than the wood that I am burning being not seasoned/dry enough cause)

Thanks for your help. It is highly appreciated!
Bryce

Attachments

• Pics of my dirty flue
    flue.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,211
Before you go buying another stove T-stat. Put it in your cooking oven at 400 degrees and see if it reads 400 degrees, then you'll know if it's bad or not. Your wood must be wet, a chimney doesn't look shiny like that after only 30 hrs of burning unless you are burning wet.

That's pretty typical of wet wood (or anytime the stove is burned too cold).

You will always have some build up in a chimney, especially masonry. Your buildup is very thin and should be of no worry, right now. However, that shiny hard creosote is the worst kind in that it is the hardest to clean from the chimney and burns the hottest if ignited. I certainly wouldn't want that to keep building up.

With that said, it only takes a few minutes to clean a chimney. My setup is easy to get to but all said and done the total job took me 15 mins today. I'd say if you are willing to climb up there and take a pic of that then running the brush up and down isn't much more work.

pen

What size is the collar on the stove? Does it draft well? What kind of wood are you burning and how long has it been split and stacked?

When you go pick up your store bought wood you might want to pick up one of creosote "eliminating" sticks, it might loosen up that glassy stuff so you can sweep it out!

Since you got up there to take the pic, it wouldn't be hard to run a brush up and down the flue. It's one of those things that is best learned before it gets icy on the roof. As said earlier, I don't think that's enough buildup to worry about, but you certainly don't want the buildup to continue.

Matt

as far as buildup its not bad ,dont worry about it but you gotta figure out why its reading low or the buildup could get alot worse over time .so go to home depot and buy some bundled kiln dried wood you know the yuppies use it in their fireplaces at christmas time ,that stuff is super dry and is a great test to see if thats your problem .

Thanks for the info folks.

"What size is the collar on the stove? Does it draft well? What kind of wood are you burning and how long has it been split and stacked?"
- If you are talking about the collar that connects the stove to the stove pipe it is 6". I am burning mixed hardwoods (maple, ash, etc...) I am not 100% sure of when it was split/stacked. I bought it from a guy I work whose uncle logs. I don't think it's too bad, but obviously am starting to lean that way because I have seen the stove in action at my friends place and it worked great.

So I bought a bag of "yuppie wood" and am going to see if I can get higher temps.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Bryce

Two comments. Usually you may get shiny creosote at the chimney top because it's the coldest part of the chimney. Extending down, as you said is not good. Bet your glass door coats over fast also. Dry wood is best but I would also take the cap off. Rarely a need for one on a tile chimney. When you do get a hot fire, 550, 600 or so watch that chimney for any fire in the creosote. Be safe.
Ed

So I put in the yuppie wood (and put in the new Rutland pipe therm for the heck of it) and I am already at 350! I am going to put in more wood (so there will be 4 pieces in the box) and see if I can get it up to 500 or so.

Unfortunately my insurance company requires that keep the cap on.

Does anyone think that using a chimney sweep log would be appropriate or helpful at this time being that the creosote isn't very thick?

bkatzman said:
So I put in the yuppie wood (and put in the new Rutland pipe therm for the heck of it) and I am already at 350! I am going to put in more wood (so there will be 4 pieces in the box) and see if I can get it up to 500 or so.

Does anyone think that using a chimney sweep log would be appropriate or helpful at this time being that the creosote isn't very thick?

It certainly couldn't hurt. What do they cost, 15 or 20 bux? If that money helps you sleep better at night then go for it.

pen

pen said:
bkatzman said:

It certainly couldn't hurt. What do they cost, 15 or 20 bux? If that money helps you sleep better at night then go for it.

pen

Threw in the CSL at around 6 last night. The thing was still smoking a little this morning..
I'll burn a couple of fires this week and then prolly have a sweep come out to clean her out (for the first time) and then I'll take over that responsibility.

You do not need to use a CSl or whatever, just some of the magic powder they sell...it says how to use it right on the container.

I don't think it's close to bad enough to sweep yet, 30 hours is just a couple days for most of us. Start burning it hotter with seasoned wood and the problem shouldn't get any worse.

I have been burning for a couple of weeks and able to keep the fire between 300 and 450 (but never have gotten it over that even with both the air intake and damper wide open for the entire burn). I looked at the chimney and it hasn't gotten worse, so as long as I keep it in the heat range it won't get too hot to start a chimney fire, but not too cold to keep adding on the creosote, do people out there think I will be "okay" until I get a cleaning in?

I plan on getting a sooteater or brush ASAP (the chimney in my sweeps are busier than penicillin in a whorehouse right now) and see if I can remove that 1/16 of shiny black creosote.

Thanks as always folks. Our house has gone from the usual 58 degrees at all times (thanks propane prices) to 70-73, which is so nice, especially for those of us who are still excited by our wives (lol)...

Status
Not open for further replies.