Pics of my MT VERNON after 6 hr burn..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belay that bang on order if there be cast components in that stove. One sharp blow in the right place and they are history.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Belay that bang on order if there be cast components in that stove. One sharp blow in the right place and they are history.

Yep...sorry that I forgot to add that....only bang on STEEL. If you're not sure what you have, don't do it at all.

Thanks Smokey!

macman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Yep...sorry that I forgot to add that....only bang on STEEL. If you're not sure what you have, don't do it at all.

Thanks Smokey!

Anytime macman, every time I see or hear of the use of a hammer around heating devices. I remember how we used to make certain that no one could use old cast radiators that were past safely being able to handle pressure due to rust or pulling old cast piping out of buildings as salvage weight.

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Thanks Smokey!

Anytime macman, every time I see or hear of the use of a hammer around heating devices. I remember how we used to make certain that no one could use old cast radiators that were past safely being able to handle pressure due to rust or pulling old cast piping out of buildings as salvage weight.

I hear ya. I guess I'm just so used to doing it since I had my Astoria (steel) and now the 10-cpm (steel). I'm AMAZED each time I do it at the amount of crud hidden up in the top of the stove in the ash traps that I can't get with a brush, hose, or my hands.

Nope, never seen one up close, except at a stove shop and the sales folks really didn't want to talk gritty detail. Try getting a sales droid to discuss cleaning a stove sometime.

Some of those Harmans open right up from what pictures I've seen. A nice simple set of brushes and a vac is likely all that is needed. I tend to keep it simple and have found that brushes with flexible shafts for handles do a good job. As does a cloth and a short length of wire. My stove doesn't have any really difficult areas to get to for ash cleaning. But playing with the convection blower is a knuckle skinner and requires contortionist abilities.

I reserve hammers mostly for nails.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Nope, never seen one up close, except at a stove shop and the sales folks really didn't want to talk gritty detail. Try getting a sales droid to discuss cleaning a stove sometime.

Some of those Harmans open right up from what pictures I've seen. A nice simple set of brushes and a vac is likely all that is needed. I tend to keep it simple and have found that brushes with flexible shafts for handles do a good job. As does a cloth and a short length of wire. My stove doesn't have any really difficult areas to get to for ash cleaning. But playing with the convection blower is a knuckle skinner and requires contortionist abilities.

I reserve hammers mostly for nails.
smokey thanks, it is very easy to clean, as i do use some brushes for the fan blade behind ash bin......just curious, always lookin for another one of those unique ways of getting it cleaner....thanks again

what # is the control box set to? it looks like the stove is vented into an out side chimney, by the amount of staining above the pipe i would have to say that you have a serious down draft issue witch would cause any stove to run like crap.

The control box is set to #3= -20%. The pipe is vented directly outside. The staining is rescent and is most likely from me loosening it up to clean it so much. I am taking the pipe all apart and cleaning it today, removing the pot, removing all of the inside cast pieces. Cleaning eveything. Replacing the gasket under the firepot.. Hope this helps. I bought 12 bags of Drycreek yesterday. I'm up to $1460.00 so far on heating this winter. It's 56* in my house. Few more months....

wrkinonfire said:
The control box is set to #3= -20%. The pipe is vented directly outside. The staining is rescent and is most likely from me loosening it up to clean it so much. I am taking the pipe all apart and cleaning it today, removing the pot, removing all of the inside cast pieces. Cleaning eveything. Replacing the gasket under the firepot.. Hope this helps. I bought 12 bags of Drycreek yesterday. I'm up to $1460.00 so far on heating this winter. It's 56* in my house. Few more months....
almost 100% sure that #3 is a plus 20% setting and #2 is a negative 10% and 1 is standard will have to check my tech manual tomorrow to be sure.

Problem solved! Stove has been running 100% since monday afternoon. All I've done is put pellets in it and walk away. It's running between 3-quadrafire nonstop. The heat is nice. First I've really been able2 enjoy it.

Might sound like stupid question but the old Mt. vernon stoves have adjustments on the control box? I have had mine for 5 years and all I thought you had was feed rate adjustment in the hopper and the switch on the side for low, med , high and quad. If there is another adjustment please enlighten me.

Left side panel. side of control box. there is an opening for a flat head screwdriver. when you turn this to position 3 it is in -20%. 1 is standard.

Well, DAMMIT, don't keep us in suspense...what was the cure?

What is the -20% setting do what do the 3 settings do in general? It is amazing you learn stuff all the time on stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.