pics of my started firewood stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
Here's my start after this weekend. Not sure how much there is but there is 3 rows of it anyway. There's a pic of one of our 3 cats relaxing in front of the insert as well.

Rob

edit: The fireproof rug for the front of the hearth hasn't arrived yet.

Attachments

• 2010_0321Image0002.jpg
    2010_0321Image0002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 596
  • 2010_0321Image0013.jpg
    2010_0321Image0013.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 610
  • 2010_0321Image0014.jpg
    2010_0321Image0014.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 587
Cats loving it, nice pictures also what type of wood is it.

zap

Oak,ash, walnut, and some box elder that was in the way. I found out later that the elder isn't the best but after sawing and splitting, it's going to get burnt.

Rob

My only suggestion would be to get the wood off the ground. Maybe you can find some skids or throw some pressure treated 2x4 down.
Great start though.

I had some pallets at work but somebody needed them worse than I did evidently. You can't see them in the pic but there are 3 walnut logs about 4" around under each stack running the entire length. Better than being right on the ground I guess.

Rob

KYrob said:
Oak,ash, walnut, and some box elder that was in the way. I found out later that the elder isn't the best but after sawing and splitting, it's going to get burnt.

Rob

Don't worry about the box elder Rob. It will burn okay and still give you heat. Burn it spring and fall or during daytime hours when you don't need to hold a fire for a long time. We've burned a bunch of it over the years. Some trees needed cutting, so we cut and burned and got along just fine.

Nice stack & a good start.
Now that you got started, don't blame us when you start looking at trees differently.
Now when I see a tree that should come down, I see & think, which way will I fell it, how well it will split, how long will it need to season etc. :)
You just started so the addiction is just an ember, soon to be a bon-fire.'
Gotta keep that cat warm :)
Better than any gym membership too, & you're paying yourself with every split

Thanks for the replies guys. I have already started wondering how much I can cut,split, and stack beforte it gets to hot out to want to continue. It's work but it's fun work if that makes any sense. My boys aren't to fond of it though, not yet anyway.

Rob

bogydave said:
Nice stack & a good start.
Now that you got started, don't blame us when you start looking at trees differently.
Now when I see a tree that should come down, I see & think, which way will I fell it, how well it will split, how long will it need to season etc. :)
You just started so the addiction is just an ember, soon to be a bon-fire.'
Gotta keep that cat warm :)
Better than any gym membership too, & you're paying yourself with every split

You couldnt be any more spot on.

as i drive to work every day, I get aggrevated seeing downed oak trees everywhere in the woods or in peoples yards wondering if it will get cut up and burned or just sit there for 10 years and rott. I see a nice stack of wood and i tell the wifey to take a gander, she thinks if frigan nuts. Will this get better or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.