Pics of my woodpiles.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
A buddy of mine is out of work and I'm crushed with school so I hired him and helper to organize my wood pile. The boro was n my case cause I had too many brush piles and the dogs were always barking up a storm at raccoons and groundhogs they would chase into the piles.

We are building bins for all the small stuff out of hardwood oak pallets that his helper gets for free from the warehouse he words at. They give me about 2 dozen a week. Once I build all the bins I need Ill start cutting them up for hardwood kindling.

We figure about another week to 10 days to completely cut, chop,split, separate, bin and stack every bit of good, bad and garbage wood in my piles. total wood is prolly about 7 ot 8 cords when you count the piles of rafter boards and ancient framing stuff from the old 30x30 carriage houlse came down in a big strorm a few yrs ago. All that is left is the 30' x 30' cement pad hat I use to accumulate word and work on it .

WoodPile-01.jpg

WoodPile-02.jpgWoodPile-03.jpg

WoodPile-07.jpgCoalPile-3TON.jpg

Attachments

• WoodPile-04.jpg
    WoodPile-04.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 149
  • WoodPile-05.jpg
    WoodPile-05.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 130
Got a coal furnace? Looks like a pile of coal under the tarp?
That's equal to several cords of wood

Starting to look organized.
Will look real good when all stacked & split. Last longer & burn better too. ;)
How much do you think you have ?

Im guessing 7-8 cords with 5-6 of those being good cord and the rest being smalls, rafters, 2x4s and other scrap stuff that is not really stackable but still great food for my little 13-NC. Only full sized clean hardwood into the 30NC.

All my neighbors know Im a wood nut and they will often just dump branches and wood crap right over the fence. Getting to the point where Ive had enough of that and will only start accepting bigger stuff that can be cord cut stacked. The boro hates my brush piles!

Bburn coal in the Hitzer 30-95. nice to have something that needs no attention to burn 24 or more hrs with a very controlled predictable output. I pick up about 3 tons every other year from the Harmony Coal mine near Pottsville PA.

More big trees coming in next week. Another buddy of mine's family owns MELE development - they are the largest site developer in the tri state area. Every time they bulldoze a plot of land to build the next airport/mall, whatever they dump all those trees at their main yard untio they can g et rid of them. Kinda cool to walk up to a football field size pile of oaks and locusts and be told take as much as you can carry on your pickup truck.

I trade favors with the guy helping him with the real physical work that he can't do alone at 71 yrs old. In return he lets me take what I can cut and carry off.
Wish I had a bigger truck, bigger saw, and bigger back yard. Really like doing the physical work of cutting hauling dumping chopping stacking.

Got a coal furnace? Looks like a pile of coal under the tarp?
That's equal to several cords of wood

Starting to look organized.
Will look real good when all stacked & split. Last longer & burn better too. ;)
How much do you think you have ?

.........coal.........being from the northeast and wood burning country, i was fascinated that a "rock" could burn. I was about 30 years old and living in "Almost Heaven" at the time where natural gas and coal were quite abundant. i never burned it myself, but i never forgot my first experience with it.

cass

SmokeCity, is there a reason for the short stacks? Those really are not very tall and you can probably stack about double that height which would take up less space.

no good reason. i may have been peeling em off the top as I burn. Its all very disorganized thats why I have a couple unemployed buddies reorganizing it

SmokeCity, is there a reason for the short stacks? Those really are not very tall and you can probably stack about double that height which would take up less space.

no good reason. i may have been peeling em off the top as I burn. Its all very disorganized thats why I have a couple unemployed buddies reorganizing it

Do they rent splitters where you are SmokeyCity? Or do you have one already? They have a splitter they rent locally here for $60 for the day. Maybe your buddies could get that split and stacked higher for you. It is looking better already. How do you store the coal? Do you have a place for it inside? Bins or whatever? Just curious what you do when the snow starts to get deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.