Pics of new Accentra install and hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookpile

Mar 27, 2010
Southeastern PA
We bought a house last November that had a brick fireplace painted a reddish orange color and threw no heat. I picked up a 2 year old Accentra with SS liner for $1500 on Craigslist this summer. I finally finished putting a stone veneer on the fireplace and getting it installed.

My question is, I have 4.5" between the glass and the edge of the hearth. The install manual requires 6". The "hardwood floor" in the picture is actually the finished original subfloor. So I don't have a lot of depth to play with. Any thoughts?

Before:

IMG_3215.jpg

After:

IMG_3315.jpg

you're gonna want to put something non-combustable in from of the unit to meet the required hearth depth. that could be a sheet of metal, stone or tile, some places will let you put one of those hearth rugs out in from as well.

I have mine installed with the cast iron hearth that I bought for it to sit on my hardwood floor. I personally wasn't worried too much, as it wasn't on carpet. The cast iron plate is 6 inches in front of the door.

I will usually measure the distance using the open door as the front. It seems soot will always come off the door while you are opening it and it is easier to clean the hearthpad then carpet.

Since no R value is given in the manual, I may just put down a hearth rug and be done with it. I don't see the wood floor getting hot enough to combust. Does that sound right?

Run it on high and see if that floor gets hot. If so you could cut part of that first board out and place stone in there. If not, a good hearth run should keep the floor clean and protected in case you have to open the door in an emergency and some random spark flies.

its not for heat, its for sparks/ embers. sometimes a hearth rug will suffice, but a layer of metal or tile would suit you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.