Pics of what went in the stove this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargerman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Few quick pics of what I loaded in the stove this morning.

Picked this oddball off the pile. It was an end piece I missed when cutting last year.

MVC-001S-1.jpg

MVC-002S-1.jpg

Yep, that is the same log.

MVC-005S.jpg

Nice and toasty a few minutes later.

MVC-004S-1.jpg

Wow, that's a big mouth. I thought I was lucky when I can cram the occasional 24" piece into the Vigilant. But 31"?!

Says a thousand words . . . . .

Now that's a long firebox! Cheers!

This is the first time I actually measured one out. It is nice having the ability to get rid of these longer ones. I normally cut my stuff 18"-20" for N-S loading but, occasionally, an odd ball gets by me after the saws are put away.

Chargerman said:
This is the first time I actually measured one out. It is nice having the ability to get rid of these longer ones. I normally cut my stuff 18"-20" for N-S loading but, occasionally, an odd ball gets by me after the saws are put away.
Is that red thing in the upper right corner another thermometer?

KevinB said:
Chargerman said:
Is that red thing in the upper right corner another thermometer?

Yes, I have a cat thermometer which came with the stove and then added a Rutland to the front corner.

Is the Rutland more accurate that the cat probe? (I've been asking you Q's on another thread about how the BBF should behave--still learning--but had my first burn of the season using the 1 y/o oak ends and with the fan on HIGH the probe was at 1000!!!!! Truly the hottest burn I can remember. I also took the cat out and cleaned it out--something the chimney sweep didn't do).

I really just use the Rutland for reassurance. I don't operate the stove with it. A typical burn will get it into the middle of the burn zone on the Rutland. Ideally, it should be on top but with the insert it is not possible.

If you get good dry wood 1000 degrees on the probe is not too hard. I have been running 1200 degrees on medium the last few days.

I had 3 splits in my 91 last night and got 1800. I opened the damper and turned the fan on for a few minutes to cool things down. This was with the air opened to 1/8th. I am bout to figure this Buck out. That Country Flame looks a lot like my Buck 91....wonder if they are cousins....lol

davidmc said:
I had 3 splits in my 91 last night and got 1800. I opened the damper and turned the fan on for a few minutes to cool things down. This was with the air opened to 1/8th. I am bout to figure this Buck out. That Country Flame looks a lot like my Buck 91....wonder if they are cousins....lol

Is your Buck free standing? I almost had a Buck 91 bought last year for my basement. Ended up with another BBF off a lucky Craigslist find. I am anxious to see the difference in heat output between the insert and free standing stove. I don't really have the option of not running the blower if heat is needed so it is always on.

Yea, it is free standing. It is going to be fine as far as heat output is concerned for me. I have been running a VC Dutchwest for the last 8 yrs and I can tell already that the Buck is going to out produce the VC. When we got down to 10 or 12 for about a week back in January I decided this year I would start off with the Buck. I have it installed in a large open area, about 900 sf, in the middle of the house which is around 1800 sf. Every time I put 3 splits of yr old oak in it on low it gets very high probe temps,1600 to 1900.Gotta figure out the exact combination on details. Those temps may be ok but I think they are a little high.

Status
Not open for further replies.