Picture of inside my flue pipe, How's it look?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukeboxfun

Jul 28, 2008
Ephrata, PA
Pipe was installed this summer and I have burned several times, I decided to climb up and take a look. I scratched some creosote off to help show the build up. Also you can see the stuff on the cap. It is kind of tarry & hard crusty. Not that thick though. What do you think?

pipe2.jpg

cap.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. This might just be from lower temp burns in milder weather. Do a hot burn once a day and get the flue up to about 600. It should be ok if that's as bad as it gets.

Looks perfectly normal to me for an exterior section of the chimney. You are always going to have something on the walls of the pipe/liner.

That looks typical for this time of year. Much of that will go away when it gets colder and the when you are burning that Jotul stove harder and hotter.

Most of that stuff got there from cold start ups. Once you start daisy chaining hot burns and the secondary stays kicked in, you won't see as much of this.

These new stoves do their best running hot. With your stove being a tad undersized, you will be getting the most out of it and the wood, plus have the cleanest pipe between the two of us.

It might be good to describe the wood you are burning and - if you can - give us the moisture content of the wood.

I will try to climb on my roof today and see how it looks also.

Ho, man that's nothing! I should have taken pics of my grandmother's when we were up on her roof last night. We took out a 70s model Fisher step stove and put in a Lopi Liberty. Talk about your creosote from the Fisher!

Yer do'in good. As the weather cools and you can run your stove a little harder, you will probably see even BETTER performance than you do now.

Looks awfully big to me. Rick

yeeeeeeah, I really should get rid of my smoke dragon. Need..secondary..air..TUBES. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.