PICTURE OF MY WOOD PILE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Been a little busy lately bucking, splitting, and stacking. I have 2 separate piles here with 3 cords each. The pile on the right is mostly Red and White Oak and will be burned next season. The pile on the left is mostly Black Locust and will be burned the following winter. I like being 1 year ahead. Now it's time to get the boat ready for fishin.

Attachments

• 100_0701.jpg
    100_0701.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 868
Very nice looking stacks there, Todd... looks like you are all set to take a little time off to go fishing.

looks real nice. What are those yellow ties?

Could maybe use a tarp over it at an angle so water doesn't sit on it. Looks nice though.

Beautiful stacks Todd. Had to rub it in didn't you. Mine is still sitting on the ground in rounds.

I'm green with envy, Todd. Most of mine is still sitting in the garage in round and "chunk" form. Great looking stacks!

rmcfall- I think I can answer the question about the ties you asked about. The yellow ties are poly rope (the stuff that won't rot). What you do is stack about 1/2 to 2/3 the height you want, and tie the rope to each end post across the top of the wood at that point. It takes some practice to learn just how much slack to leave in the rope, but you have to leave some. As you stack the rest of the pile on top of the rope, it draws the posts tight against the stack and keeps the ends from blowing out and pushing the posts over. It works great, and by doing this you don't have to use heavy posts. I do the same thing with my stacks, and I think I saw it here first. :cheese:

Todd

Those piles look wonderful. Lucky you're so ahead! I'm still trying to stockpile enough rounds for the winter after next. But my piles are not even close to that neat.

Todd,
Thats one hell of a woodstack. You must be quite the perfectionist which I admire. How long will a stack like that last? How many cords do you figure there is in the stack? Being a fellow Northerner, Northern Minnesota I can certianly appreciate a butiful stack of wood. I have a woodshed I usually stack my wood in but this year I seemed not to get around to it and ending up hauling wood by the Ranger load as needed. Lucily this year I could access the National Forest all winter due to the lack of snow. Next year I intend to have if full which will last me for about two years.

Attachments

• IMG_1641-1.JPG
    IMG_1641-1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 495
Nice stacks Todd...

Was Jason right? You use regular poly rope to tie off the T-posts? Do the T-posts bow out over time?

Jasons right, the yellow poly rope is to keep the posts from bowing out. I never tried this before, but when Eric Johnson posted some pictures months ago on this technique I thought this would save me more room if I could stack 6' high. I think this is in the wiki somewhere. I usually stacked 4-5' tall by cross hatching the ends, but with this system I can go higher, these are 6' tall rows, 12' apart. 6 full cords there, 3 are seasoned and ready to go. The other 3 cord was bucked and split this month, and will be ready for the following winter. I also have a extra seasoned cord stashed by my shed just in case.

Last year I tried the Holz Haufen and it dried the wood nicely, but was a pita retrieving the wood from a 7' or 8' tall holz.

As some of you have noticed, I am a little anal when it comes to stacking firewood, I like it looking neat and organized and it's nice to get the chore out of the way by early spring before fishing season opens. I'm still thinking of extending the roof out another 8' to cover the wood, but when your a year or more ahead the wood is nice and dry by the time you burn it so why mess with tarps or spend the money on a wood shed?

mtarbert said:
Guys who stack their wood as neatly as this guy does worry me. He dosen't work for the Post Office does he...

Nope, retired U.S. Coast Gaurd

Good job Todd, the prettiest piles I've seen. Mine are real ugly, some day I'll figure things out I like neat looking piles as well.

Looks good todd.

I really try to get my piles looking neat like that because they are hi-viz, but with free/scrounge wood in there ya gotta take what you can get. This means ugly piles with odd shaped pieces,crotches and lots of short stuff. I stack 2 rows deep and I try to keep the uniform stuff in the front row and hide the "sunday wood" in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.