Picture the heat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
See infrared photos (if attached): Lopi Freedom Bay owner manual states top glowing red or temps exceeding 800 is over firing. (never have, hopefully never will) This fire was 1/3 hedge, 2/3 red/white oak, seasoned nicely. The stove top gauge indicated 610, IR signal 592 degrees. Front glass ran about the same and the flue offset adapter was less at 511. Aiming up towards the stainless steel liner for 551 degrees, not sure why it’s lower than stove top. The highest I’ve had the top gauge is 680, nothing glowed red. I don’t use more than 1/3 hedge. At any rate, thought someone might like the pictures. This stove, the house and the operator are all real happy at 500 degrees so assume I’m just wasting heat up at 600.

Attachments

• Top gauge, indicating 610.jpg
    Top gauge, indicating 610.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IR_0089.jpg
    IR_0089.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Door glass center.jpg
    Door glass center.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 340
  • Chimney liner at stovetop.jpg
    Chimney liner at stovetop.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 345
Now shoot the important part. The family. Are they warm?

Neat stuff. The liner won't show actual temp because of the reflective surface. Pretty much like the glass.

Ooo, you have a neat toy. I would love to have a FLIR.

I kept expecting to see a Predator in one of the pics. ;) :)

Next week, on an all new Ghost Hunters..."OMG! Did you hear that?!" "OMG! Did you see that?!" "OMG! Was that you?!"

Sweet shots. In graduate school (Indiana State) we had 2 FLIR infrared cameras (70K a piece) purchased through a grant. I used them to attempt to locate warm bats in cool roosts (eastern pipistrelles (tri-colored bats) roosting in tree foliage). My wife used them to look for evening bat roosts in hollow trees. Was a real cool tool. Would be a lot of fun to have now with the stove. How much did you pay for the FLIR? Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.