1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pictures from my neck of the woods; eastern Quebec.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Swedishchef, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey guys

I have seen a ton of nice pictures taken from various places within North America on this forum. You all live in some very beautiful parts of the world!

Here are a few pics from my part of the woods.

Cheers!

Andrew

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Is that the Gulf of St Lawrence? I could spend a lifetime there and not get enough by boat or land.
  3. wood spliter

wood spliter New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Just beautiful
  4. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Yes, that is where the land meets the gulf. It's a town called Perce which is 45 minutes from where I live. It's in the Gaspesian (Gaspe) Peninsula. It is a diamond in the ough. The peninsula is about 350 KMs long and 200 KMs wide with only about a total of 45000 people residing along the coastline. Perce is where the St Lawrence river (seaway) meets the gulf: at the end of land.

National Geographic said that it's one of the 20 best trips to see in the world in 2011
    http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2011-photos/

And it was also voted one of the top 50 places to see in your lifetime by National Geographic Traveller magazine.
    http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeographic.com/2009/09/17/50_places_of_a_lifetime_1/

LOL. And no, I don't work for the local tourism association! I take for granted what I have (don't we all).

Andrew
  5. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    That is a neat body of water and surrounding areas. I never really got how big it is until I drove from Cape Breton to Ottawa in a single shot other than dinner in Quebec City and gas stops.
  6. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    Beautiful place. Perhaps you could educate me on the apparent property shapes along the rural roads. It looks like on Google Earth that land ownership is 50 meters wide and 3, 4, 500 meters deep. Am I imagining that?
  7. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    SOlarandWood: it is a very nice body of water indeed. Big, deep and offers every kind of sea life you can imagine. Blue whales, seals, lobster, shrimp and the list goes on.

JImbo: I am not 100% certain of the dimensions. However, typically in the past, parcels of land were divided narrow and deep. That would allow for closer populations. Why go wide and spread out towns when you can go narrow and keep them closer?

Also, this peninsula is historically anglophone. The Gaspe peninsula has the largest population of english speaking people in the province of Quebec, East of Montreal. Towns like New Richmond, Douglastown, Chandler, etc are not french names. Just a small fact!

Andrew
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Andrew, very nice part of the woods.

zap
  9. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Absolutely gorgeous location!

Ray
  10. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks Zap and Ray. You should come up some time. There's lots of room!!!

Andrew
  11. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.

Chef,
    I would have no objection to seeing a beautiful place such as that.. Had some Canadians visit my area 2 years ago and they loved it here as well.. They spent time in Plymouth and Cape Cod.. Personally I enjoy peace and quiet most of the time.. Right now it's cranberry harvest season and I am surrounded by cranberry bogs and people travel here just to see that.. I've been seeing it around 25 years and it's still fun to see..

Ray
  12. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    My neighbor for the past few years would drive himself and wife to Grand Manan Island in his orange VW camper and meet some nice folks. They did some great camping and sampled the local food. The locals were most accomodating to help with whatever they needed. Berry picking was great too. Wild raspberries were put right into the pancakes in the morning. Nice pictures.
  13. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Ray: I was quite sad to hear that the "Cat" ferry no longer exists. I was planning a round trip vacation (via Nova Scotia and then back through Mass, NH and Maine) but couldn't!!! I have never been that far south Mass, I made it to Saylem a few years back. If you enjoy peace and quiet, this part of the woods is for you: I live in the biggest community within 300 KMs and we have 7000 people. LOL.

Fishingpool: Grand Manan is very nice. Most people don't know of it's existence. It is in my home province of New Brunswick.

I met quite a few US tourists here this summer including one couple who have travelled over 70 countries (and I believe them from the stories they were telling me). They said that this part of the world was their favorite of all the places they went to. I don't see it, but they seemed to love it.

Mass has TON of nice places as well. Lots of rich history!

Andrew
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Great pics . . . usually the pics I see from the Gaspe Peninsula are all snow covered as this is one of those Top 10 Rides that Snowmobilers in Maine do . . . and most post pics of the trip.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks for posting those great pictures Andrew. Fortunately we have something similar in many places of Michigan with the great lakes. Those pictures you posted reminds me of many spots along Lake Superior.
  16. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Had to choose between Cape Breton and the Gaspe on a Canada camping trip quite a few years ago.
    Never got much further north than Kouchibouguac ( I probably spelled that wrong) Park and then up around Maine to Quebec.
    Have been back to the Twin Cities in Nova Scotia but have always wanted to get back and get to Prince Edward and finish visiting that end of Canada.
  17. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Our next road trip vacation is going to be through that part of the world. We are looking forward to it.
  18. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    We went to Yarmouth NS a few times on the Scotia Prince then they shut it down.. I would love to do those trips again.. I did the late season 2 for 1 specials and they were a bargain!

Ray
  19. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    That rock in the picture looks like its getting closer.....
  20. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Jake: we are certainly in the snow belt of canada. I think last year we received over 500 cm of snow in the winter. It's one of the only places you can use a snowmobile 4-5 months a winter.

Dennis: it's my pleasure to post pics of where I live. You are right, lake superior is AWESOME. It's almost an ocean in itself! However, there's one big difference: salt water! The smell of salt is great on a quiet summer evening. Then again, swallowing it is a different story.

Bill: Kouch national park is in New Brunswick. It is a great park! PEI is great if you love golf. There is roughly 100 courses in a province of 150 000 people.

Andrew
  21. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Ha ha. No, the rock is not getting any closer. Then again, with the movement of techtonic plates around the world, perhaps it is. Luckily there are not faults near us so I don't think we will collide any time soon.

HOWEVER, you can no longer walk out to the rock. Despite ALL the warning signs (at own risk, etc) some fool went out to it a few years ago. A big piece of rock fell on him (it's limestone) and he sued the provincial park association in Quebec and won...they have sinced barred it off completely (access that is).

Andrew
  22. wantstoburnwood

wantstoburnwood Member

Loc:
    pei
    Hey may I chime in about PEI its quite fabulous this time of year. Great golf, beaches are gettin a bit cool , but theres lots to see and do. Really anytime on PEI is great.
  23. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    HA! Pei is great except from June 20th-24th when it was 12 degrees, rain and a gale of wind was blowing from the NW. PLUS my first night in my great cottage the power was out for 8 hours (good thing I had a propane fireplace!).

I do enjoy it there though!

Andrew
  24. wantstoburnwood

wantstoburnwood Member

Loc:
    pei
    I agree we had a real bad spring. Hope u had your wife with you go keep warm on those cold nights
  25. Fi-Q

Fi-Q Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Bonaventure, Quebec
    Ah,le Rocher Percé !!

Nice pict there Andrew..... I was to going to college in Gaspe for 4 years, so every week-end, riding he Orlean bus back home in the bay (Bonaventure) I was having a nice view on the rock.... I've seen it in every possible weather configuration.... PErce is a nice place.... And of course, the Peninsula is a must, ok, it where I come from and it's my home... but I'v traveled all over north america, and it is still amazing me when I drive around, or inland (Gaspésie National PArk) how this piee of land is ebautiful and a well kept secret, feels like I am always alone on he road... For ll the people deciding to do the Eastern Canada tour, missing the peninsula is a big mistake..... I've loved Nova Scotia and new-brunswick, but the gaspe have something spcial, and don't be stopped by the language diffrence.