Pictures of how you connected flex liner to back of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm considering getting a flexible liner to run down the existing chimney, turn 90 degrees to exit out the firebox and connect to the back of my Jotul. I just don't know how it would connect. Would it simply turn that 90 degree out the firebox and run right into the back of the stove or would I possibly use something else to go from the bottom of the chimney out to my stove?

Any pics of your setup to accomplish this would be great!

Hi -

I would use a Tee. Then when it is cleaning time you can tape a plastic bag at the bottom and catch the crud. Otherwise you'll need to have a way to get the crud though the stove, or remove the stove. Not fun.

All the best,
Mike P

So terminate the 6" liner into a 6" tee? Would I slide the end of the liner onto the tee and maybe use sheet metal screws to hold it in place? Would I just let the tee hang suspended from the liner?

I could then use my existing 6" doublewall pipe to go from the tee to the back of the stove.

Basicly yes. Most Tees have a snout that comes off. It can be screwwed or riveted with stainless steel and lowered down with the liner, then add the snout on, or do it as you described. I added a bracket that supports the Tee but only because I could get at it as it is in the fireplace.

Those Jotul's as very nice stoves.

Enjoy!
Mikw P

Our ss liner is held onto the tee
with a large clamp that slides over
both the liner and the tee. It has
large diameter worm clamp style
connections on both ends.
This is a pellet stove installation
btw, but there must be something
similar available for wood stove installs.
I didn't like the tee just suspended
even though the stove shop said I
could install it that way, so we put
a few bricks underneath it.

This is the best pic I have on the computer.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/sporty04/teeconnector.jpg

Thank you zeta! How did you seal the area where the smaller liner goes up the flue?

wahoowad said:
Thank you zeta! How did you seal the area where the smaller liner goes up the flue?

You need to use a block off plate or stuff the chimney with Kaowool (or equivalent) around the liner so the air flow is cut off.

You mentioned "double-wall" pipe. Are you installing a wood stove or pellet stove? You wouldn't use double wall pipe from the stove to the "T" with a wood stove, just regular single wall stove pipe.

I have a Jotul Kennebec insert and I have a 90 degree elbow coming off the top of the insert into an 8" piece of pipe, which then goes into a stainless "T" attached to the bottom of the liner. Sorry, no pics available...

Sure you can use doublewall pipe from a wood stove to a tee. Helps with clearances. Plus I use an adjustable doublewall pipe and that adjustability helps when it comes to moving the stove and hooking things back up after cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.