Pictures of my boiler install and tank...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radarblip

Oct 12, 2008
South PA (Apple Country!)
Here are some pictures of my gasifier heating system installed 2 years ago. I didn't have the advantage of having this forum for info so I had to scratch my head a few times.... I have approximately $ 5700.00 in my system so it's basically paid for. The picture of the metal "T" on the floor is a device which allows me to burn dried peach pits and other biomass without allowing unburned fuel to drop in the gasification chamber until it's ashed over. My zone valves are automatic, If I'm not heating the house, I'm heating the tank. At night when the fuel burns out I turn the handy box switch pictured in the up position and pull heat off the tank to heat the house. I can get about 7 to 8 hours heating time, depending upon the outside temperature and wind. This system is totally basic and contains no electronic components, other than temperature display shown. (Sorry, Nofossil!!)

Bob

Attachments

• boiler pics 001.jpg
    boiler pics 001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 476
  • boiler pics 002.jpg
    boiler pics 002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 475
  • boiler pics 006.jpg
    boiler pics 006.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 479
  • boiler pics 008-1.jpg
    boiler pics 008-1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 469
  • boiler pics 003.jpg
    boiler pics 003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 444
  • boiler pics 005.jpg
    boiler pics 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 469
radarblip said:
Here are some pictures of my gasifier heating system installed 2 years ago. I didn't have the advantage of having this forum for info so I had to scratch my head a few times.... I have approximately $ 5700.00 in my system so it's basically paid for. The picture of the metal "T" on the floor is a device which allows me to burn dried peach pits and other biomass without allowing unburned fuel to drop in the gasification chamber until it's ashed over. My zone valves are automatic, If I'm not heating the house, I'm heating the tank. At night when the fuel burns out I turn the handy box switch pictured in the up position and pull heat off the tank to heat the house. I can get about 7 to 8 hours heating time, depending upon the outside temperature and wind. This system is totally basic and contains no electronic components, other than temperature display shown. (Sorry, Nofossil!!)

Bob

That's great! Simple is good. I think there's a lot more need out there for simpler systems.

I had a waste heat recovery system for my oil boiler that scavenged heat after all demands were satisfied and the boiler shut down. The scavenged heat took care of my hot tub - would have gone up the chimney otherwise. It also had two other modes - 'priority' which made the hot tub act like any other zone, and 'passive' where the hot tub would accept heat if the boiler was running, but wouldn't generate a 'demand' signal to turn the boiler on.

Did it all with relays and snap-action thermal switches. No computer, no software at all.

I finally broke down and went to the dark side when I needed to make control decisions based on temperature differentials AND I needed to do some kind of data logging. Once you have a computer, it's hard not to overdo it.

Hi Bob
Looks like a great install . Just wondering if you have any fire prof material on the ceiling or a high temperature sprinkler head above the boiler , can't quite see it from the pic ?
Anthony

Anthony:
Hello!! No, I don't have any fire protection above the boiler, however, my flue pipe is caulked and insulated with 1" thick refractory
felt covered with 22 gauge corrugated steam pipe insulation. When the boiler is roaring, I can place my hand on the flue pipe without being burned as well as on the boiler skin itself. After a few hours of burning, the lower gasification chamber door gets a little warm, but my basement doesn't really get that warm in the summer. I do have a smoke detector and CO detector in the room. The boiler is surrounded at the back and right side with a stone wall.

Bob

That's a great idea with the heat shielded flue pipe , sometimes maintaining required clearances is not possible and custom fabrication of heat shields is needed .
Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.