pictures of my new install of a quadra-fire Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiman

Jul 3, 2007
Nebraska
Just thought that i would show you guys some pictures of my new stove installed.

Kelly

Attachments

• resized far away shot.JPG
    resized far away shot.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 871
  • resized close up 2.JPG
    resized close up 2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 948
Very nice looking Install. It looks close to the walls. What are the clearances?

I thought the same thing - Wow, that's pretty close. Is that single wall pipe? Perhaps it's just the angle of the shot. Nice looking unit BTW!

I am not sure of the clearances the stove shop did the install for me. The corners of the stove is 7" from the wall and the pipe is 13" from the wall. I just measured them. Like i said they did the install so it should be right. it must be double wall according to the label on the back of the stove with double wall the corner has to be 6" from the wall and the pipe has to be 12" from the wall. I don't know for sure i am new at this.

Kelly

Very nice looking Kelly. Enjoy.

kdiman said:
I am not sure of the clearances the stove shop did the install for me. The corners of the stove is 7" from the wall and the pipe is 13" from the wall. I just measured them. Like i said they did the install so it should be right. it must be double wall according to the label on the back of the stove with double wall the corner has to be 6" from the wall and the pipe has to be 12" from the wall. I don't know for sure i am new at this.

Kelly

You are on the money with those numbers. When my Isle Royal was installed, the first thing I did was get the tape measure out. I too, thought it was a little close, but the guessing stick in my hand said otherwise. You will love that stove. Mine is on the 5th year this upcoming season (I think). Has done a great job in every respect.

As a side note, it will take a little bit to get used to the burn characteristics of this stove (as with most). Once the stove gets to proper operating temps, tune that baby back and watch the secondary burn. Very cool to watch on this stove.

Very nice install, I am sure your gonna love it.

Looks great. I have mine on order it should be here shortly.

My house has a wide open plan with a great room and probably 15 foot ceilings, I think that will heat this 1900 square foot house just fine. Supposed to be one of the best top load stoves

kdiman said:
My house is only around 1000 sq ft so i will probaly roast myself out.

Kelly

Wow. That is a real possibility. That stove is beast. I see twice a day firing and letting it die out in your future. I heat my 1,000 sq. ft. office with a stove that weighs about what the door and legs do on that one.

They sold me this stove for $200 more than the quadra-fire 3100 bc it was a display model. So i got a good deal on it.

Kelly

I see some small fires in your future. That stove heats my 1800 square ft, 2 story farm house on a hill with no wind breaks at 20 below zero with 40 mph winds.

On the other hand, if you like fresh air, not a bad thing because you may find that you always have a window open. BroBart is correct, this ain't no dainty parlor stove, its a heat machine.

WOW, 1,000 sq ft with an Isle Royale. You really need to load up on swimming trunks, because that is all you will be able to wear.

Mine heats 2,700 sq ft and even then it gets quite warm. 75 all the way. I actually bought mine when it was 5 minths old. The gu wanted to heat a 1,300 sq ft poorly insulated cabin on Lake Ontario and figured he would loose a lot of heat and thus needed a large stove. Boy, was he wrong. He cooked and therefore sold it to get a smaller stove. His loss was my gain!!!

I am afraid that all the others who responded were on the ball. That stove is too large for your house and you will be forced to clamp it down all the way all the time. Your burn efficiency will be really low and you will see lots of smoke and incomplete burn. It is always better to have a small stove run at full capacity than a large stove smothered.

Please keep us informed when the cold gets here. I am interested to see if we were wrong.

Carpniels

I've got my Isle Royale burning now. Looking at your clearances, those walls have to be hot. I had a couple of friends come over and move it out to 13 inches from each corner. Mine is a corner install and it made me nervous being 10.5" from the wall. I even have some metal studs and 1 inch of concrete/slate.

It easily gets to 550 or 600. The after burn is cool.

This stove is a beast, my house has 15 plus foot ceilings, and its nice and toasty.

You must be cooking!

HI guys,

I have had mine going every night for the last 2 weeks or so. Just to get the house up to temp so it will be warm unitl I get home the next day at 5 PM and relight the stove. Since this is the shoulder season, I burn pine and poplar. Works great. Gets to 600 and stays there if I tend to it. Otehrwise, it goes down to 400, I notice it and add some more splits. I have really large splits of pine, so they a little longer.

The house gets to 73 and cools down the next day to about 65.

So far, so good. The thing that really helped was the OAK. It has really helped keep the outer fringes of the house warm. The stove gets its burn air directly from outside and does not suck any air from the interior of the house. Thus the farthest bedrooms do not have cold outside air infiltration anymore. Hence they stay warmer. The wife has even commented on how much warmer the bedroom is. Nice. At this point, I would recommend everyone to install an AOK if you stove can take one. But lets wait until we hit the dead of winter and make it through that before I give my definite response.

Thanks

carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.