Pictures of New Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wall shields up!
I used hat channel from a drywall shop. It's 7/8" high - close enough - I really did not need the shield for clearances, I just like to be overly careful and thought it would look cool.
So 7/8" hat channel attached to the drywall with metal wall anchors, then 1/2 Durock screwed to hat channel, then used high temp silly-cone to glue on tin tiles.
I used drywall "J" channel to border the edges - it's just a metal edge that snaps onto 1/2" drywall. It fit really tight over the Durock and the tin, so I didn't even have to glue it. Used hi-temp rust-o-leum spray paint to get it flat black.

Attachments

• WallShield01.JPG
    WallShield01.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 348
  • WallShield02.JPG
    WallShield02.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 369
  • WallShield03.JPG
    WallShield03.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 344
That's a fantastic build. I wonder how this would look with a little mantel shelf above, and maybe something like ~6" wide fluted trim on the sides to help define that transition from tin to sheetrock... Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I was thinking about a shelf / mantle up there.
As you can see, I still need to trim the room out. We have a collection of old bottles that we found on our property that I think will look neat sitting up there.

That's going to be an interesting chimney arrangement to hit the thimble up there.

Highbeam said:
That's going to be an interesting chimney arrangement to hit the thimble up there.

45 out of the collar - 48" adjustable pipe, then 45 and another 45.
It is what it is.
I'll update pix when installed

Status
Not open for further replies.