(pictures) Patio almost done!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
Well, after thinking about it for 4 years and planning it since last fall the patio is finally, almost, done!

I cant take credit for the work, we had a professional crew do this one. Watching them move in almost 14 yards of gravel and crushed stone, I'm glad I didn't try!

The surface is antiqued brick. We picked this location tucked in behind the kitchen to use some wasted space in the yard and take advantage of full evening shade from the house. The space was a bit limited because of the septic tanks location , which is also the reason for the curving shape (avoiding the manholes).

The major work is almost done, all the guys need to finish is grading the lawn around the edge tomorrow. Then we have a few weekends of DIY work landscaping the border. Plan is to put in mulch planter beds with brick edging all around, with a couple stepping stone paths to the lawn, and of course a Scotty O (tm) Keyhole firepit!

The landscaper has a load of salvage brick demoed from another job and he is giving me as much as I want free (!) which will be used for the edging, etc.

Also the previous owner had wired the house for outdoor speakers in this exact spot, so I got some cheap ones to install. Party anybody? :)

2013-07-10 16.45.50.jpg

2013-07-10 16.46.26.jpg

Our Quality Control crew inspecting the walkway:

2013-07-10 16.24.48.jpg

Having the walk between the garage and house dug up meant they exposed the old 30 amp electric feed. We had a gas stove put in last year so I had an unused 6/3 line available terminating just inside the wall here . I had the guys put in two PVC conduits for me. They are too shallow for code technically but we hit a big granite shelf a foot down. Hopefully the foot of gravel and brick on top will protect it ;)

One 1" that I ran #6 THWN through to tie into the 6/3 line and upgrade the garage panel to 60 amps. (First time I had to splice big wires like this, split bolts and rubber tape, etc)

A second 2" pipe left capped off for future use. Considering running phone out there, and maybe someday a 240v compressor in the garage with an air line running back to the basement shop.

patio-walk.jpg

Looks good!

Schweeet!

Nice upgrade to the yard.
You'll get many many hours of good, fun use out of it.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks guys, we are excitied.

My wife is so excited, she asked me if I can finish all the landscaping by next Saturday :eek:

looks very nice. make sure you do not mix low voltage high voltage wire in the conduit, it is a no no

looks very nice. make sure you do not mix low voltage high voltage wire in the conduit, it is a no no

Yup, the 2 inch pipe will be for everything non-HV. Im thinking of running a couple strings of CAT5 through it for phone and a remote wifi hub, and eventually an air line - might use the rapidair nylon stuff.

The one inch pipe has the electric feed, three #6 THWN and one #10 ground. I tied this in to the pre-existing 4 slot sub panel that had a 30 amp feed. One issue I need to resolve is the grounding, it is tied back to the main panel ground and the neutral is isolated properly, however the electrician who installed it didn't put in a ground rod, which I believe is required for a sub in a detached building. I should add that.

OK, update, I'm glad I did some research because fire code is going to put the kaibosh on the pit I think :( I cant put one anywhere around the perimeter and be 15ft away from the house.

hmmm

I'd have to go BANANAS if they said I couldn't have a fire pit in my backyard.......that wouldn't happen..

Jeremy, I love the patio and sidewalk.....fantastic job! The landscaping looks fabulous as well. What a cozy, inviting space you created in your own backyard. I'm sure you'll have MANY MANY gatherings out there with family and friends, and even a nice place to go in the evening to chillax.......

Looks great now time to break it in with a huge cookout

I'd have to go BANANAS if they said I couldn't have a fire pit in my backyard.......that wouldn't happen..

Jeremy, I love the patio and sidewalk.....fantastic job! The landscaping looks fabulous as well. What a cozy, inviting space you created in your own backyard. I'm sure you'll have MANY MANY gatherings out there with family and friends, and even a nice place to go in the evening to chillax.......

Its not that anyone told me I cant have a pit... I was just researching the fire code and the regs seems to say that a pit has to be either 15ft or 25ft from the house. The spot I had picked out measures only 11ft from that corner. I doubt I'd ever have a problem but don't want to ever get in a situation where we had to make a claim and then an insurance adjuster try and deny us due to the pit.

So I think we will get a freestanding movable firepit instead and put it out on the brick and just put it away when not in use.

If you ever pass through Boston Scotty Ill have a brew out there with your name on it.......

Well, except for reseeding the lawn, we are done!.

I once had a bare area next to my driveway. I didn't think the grass would every grow well there due to the high foot traffic and that area was often wet. So I put down some very small stone. Easy to walk on and it got rid of the mud issue. To my surprise, in a couple years, the grass grew up through the rocks and made a nice thick covering. Best part about this is that it never wears bear, and their is no muddy mess during any season

Status
Not open for further replies.