Pig Roast pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
The Yuengling was flowing, the pig was cooking, a good time was had by all. It was actually easier than I thought. We got a 60 lb pig. It took about 7 hours. The apple wood worked out great.
Enjoy the pics. pig1.jpgpig2.jpgpig3.jpgpig4.jpgpig5.jpgpig6.jpgpig7.jpg

Here I was trying to go to bed and now I am hungry. For pig!

Dammit BV, that looks fantastic! did you spin it on the open pit like that, or did you have a topcover at any point during the cooking? Glad the applewood worked for ya, a combination of that and white oak is by far my favorite for cooking. Nothing better than that!

Dammit BV, that looks fantastic! did you spin it on the open pit like that, or did you have a topcover at any point during the cooking? Glad the applewood worked for ya, a combination of that and white oak is by far my favorite for cooking. Nothing better than that!

Thnx Scotty,
We spun it a 1/4 turn every few minutes the whole time, no top cover. The blocks really helped to hold the heat it. We went through less than a face cord of an apple/maple combo the whole time.
The only slight problem we had was in the beginning. Our pole was a little too big and wouldn't fit out Wilburs mouth, we had to saw his jaw apart.

Reactions: ScotO
Thnx Scotty,
We spun it a 1/4 turn every few minutes the whole time, no top cover. The blocks really helped to hold the heat it. We went through less than a face cord of an apple/maple combo the whole time.
The only slight problem we had was in the beginning. Our pole was a little too big and wouldn't fit out Wilburs mouth, we had to saw his jaw apart.
Poor Wilbur .....lol. I see you kept the fire out of the center of the spit and built it around the sides of the pig. Looks great. I will be doing one like this soon. Thanks for posting the pics!

Poor Wilbur .....lol. I see you kept the fire out of the center of the spit and built it around the sides of the pig. Looks great. I will be doing one like this soon. Thanks for posting the pics!

Yup, initial large fire in the center. Let that burn down to coals then rake coals to the outsides. Wilbur goes on after that. From there we just kept the outer ring going all day long. I was told you don't want any flare ups directly beneath wilbur. He burns easily.

My buddies son just did one last week (you can see his pig had a little flare up) 60 lb. dressed for $170. They flipped the rack every 15 minutes. Used soaked cherry on top of coals for flavor. The photo's tell the story.
100_3749.jpg
100_3745.jpg
100_3744.jpg
100_3741.jpg
100_3740.jpg
100_3738.jpg
100_3737.jpg

Reactions: fishingpol
WTF, no invite? Dayum

I bet that crispy skin was just terrible :)

Drink enough beers at these things and "pork" might be a verb as well.

Yup AP, plenty jackassery going on there. One buddy ate the eyeball, another one was dared to eat a kidney. That turned out to be one of my favorite parts, tasted like liver, but better. One buddy chewed on the ear for a while, then my dog snatched it from him when he was too drunk to defend himself.
This wasn't exactly a black tie affair at the Kennedy center.

Where was
Yup AP, plenty jackassery going on there. One buddy ate the eyeball, another one was dared to eat a kidney. That turned out to be one of my favorite parts, tasted like liver, but better. One buddy chewed on the ear for a while, then my dog snatched it from him when he was too drunk to defend himself.
This wasn't exactly a black tie affair at the Kennedy center.

Where was this bash held...Faber College??

Sounds like a good time!

Reactions: Blue Vomit
Status
Not open for further replies.