Pike Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
has anyone burned Pike Pellets ..... any feedback

good enough but lots of ash compared to fireside ultra. made big pumice type pieces. don't know if that's what people call clinkers. size of pellets were good.

donkarlos said:
good enough but lots of ash compared to fireside ultra. made big pumice type pieces. don't know if that's what people call clinkers. size of pellets were good.
no...clinkers are hard carbonized like pieces that almost need to be chiseled from the burn pot... a large pumice like clump..is just that
a clump of ash.

if these are the ones from a plant in illinois i had a customer who had feed issues due to long pellets , some over 2 inches long. but he didnt seem to have clinkering , but then he couldnt get the bag of "pencils" as he called them , to feed long enough to get any long burns , i dunno personally i havent ever seen this brand much less burned them , they arent sold in my area

ya, they were from illinois but not that long or even close. safe to say they are inconsistent I guess.

I have 2 tons. Unfortunately, though, I can't really give much of a report, because they're all I've ever burned...

All I can tell you is that so far, my stove is working as advertised. I posted a picture of my burnpot, and the ash it contained, when I first started up the stove, and the consensus was that it looked "normal".

I haven't seen a clinker. I have scraped some solidified carbon build up off the burnpot.

There is ash. I couldn't say if there is more or less than any other brand, but I can say that I'm not cleaning my stove several times per day, and the ash amount isn't smothering the flame, or "breaking the stove", or anything like what has been reported on the forum on other brands.

I do have 25 bags of 2 other brands of pellets on hand; just haven't gotten around to trying them out for comparison. When I do, maybe I'll be able to say something more useful.

Just to add: I haven't noticed any problem with the size or length of the pellets. nothing extraordinarily long.

I have bought 4 tons of them. I have gone through 1 ton and can say that I am pleased.

More ash than NEWP red/tan

Very good heat

never had any feed problems

pellets were in the 3/8 to 1 inch range, very few longer.

minimal fines

I picked up a ton of Bayou pellets from Lousiana. They are real nice also very light colored...Maple?? very little ash and pretty good heat.

I purchased a ton of the Pike pellets and was having problems with the burn pot filling up, had pellets over 2 in. long and more fines than what I had last year burning the Somerset pellets. The glass door would start to turn black within 3 hours of cleaning it. Last week we purchased a few bags of several different brands. What a difference it made. Stove now burns the way it had before using the Pike pellets. Will not be buying any more of the Pike. The best pellet I have burned is the Somerset, Dejno's are also good, and Ozark Hardwood Products. I have a Bixby corn stove which will also burn the wood pellets so I burn corn or pellets which ever is more economical.

From my experience with the Pike pellets there was a huge amount of ash and quite a bit of fines, they did produce a decent amount of heat though.

I was in my local farm store and noticed that Pike Pellets changed their bag, so I was curious if they had improved their product. I decided to give them another chance, ( everyone deserves a second chance ). I bought four bags and upon opening the bag discovered that the pellets were much smaller (great place to start for improving). Okay so now we will burn them and see how they do. They actually burned very well, I am very pleased with the improvement the company had done with their pellets. ;-) I had a great looking fire with no build-up in the pot. Since it looks like the company made a great improvement on the pellets I would not hesitate buying them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.