Pile of crap wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
Called local wood dealer for a cord of oak. They came after dark and unloaded so I could not see it until the next day. Gave them a check for the wood and they left. The next day I go out and start to stack the wood and the first thing I noticed is that the pile seems to be 70-80% tree limbs and 20% cut cord wood. A lot of the limbs are not even 1 inch around. The next thing I notice is that most of the wood is fresh cut. Just to confirm it I build a fire with wood from last year and then put in some of this new stuff and of course it sat there and steamed, sizzled and water boiled out the ends. I was so mad. Called and had stop payment put on check.
Lady called to complain about stop payment on check and tried to convince me wood was cut 2 years ago. Told her to come pick up her wood.
They show up today and they load their wood into their truck and then while I am in the house she starts to take wood out of my stacked wood from last year.
I go out there and she is telling me that that is her wood and the guy with her it telling me they know its their wood because it looks fresh cut. Got to love it. (I had some fresh cut stuff from 1 month ago that we cut on our property) I explained that the fresh cut stuff could not possibly be theirs because their wood is seasoned for well over 2 years. There must be a lot of people out there that just accept this type of chit wood and actually try and burn it.

If I was selling wood, I would not take checks. This whole thing could have gotten ugly.

And people ask me why I go through the hassle of scrounging...

might be just me, but before I actually started reading this thread I thought for sure there was a species of tree called the "crap tree" and that you have gotten a load (no pun intended). guess I was wrong. good thing too, cuz if there was a crap tree, you'd think we'd all have heard of it, and how foolish would I look as the only guy who never saw one before.

I would hate to meet the critter that could "crap" firewood!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Wasn't it buffalo crap that was burned by the people moving west ?

That would constitute crap firefuel

Molly, sad to say, that is how most of them operate. Sad, but true. That is why it is so important to get a couple years ahead on wood so you don't have to buy that crap.

Hurricane said:
Wasn't it buffalo crap that was burned by the people moving west ?

That would constitute crap firefuel

"dung" is still one of the most widely burned fuels in the world. Mongolia has no trees, but they do have reindeer,yak, and little horses.

oddly, i read in Pop Sci a few years back that burning dung is one of the key contributers to the poor air quality in asia. whacky eh?

Nice to hear that you didn't let them get over on you--scammers need to get called on their B.S. as much as possible. The more people that fight, the better for the rest of us!

Moral to the story?

1. Never accept a delivery from a new wood source when you're not there or it's dark (unless they'll wait until you stack to get paid).
2. Always pay with a check if you can--at least you have some recourse (i.e. stop payment)
3. At the end of the day, honest wood sellers who sell quality wood and in the quantity they promise, are VERY few and far between--though they are out there.

In 15+ years of buying wood, I never ONCE got a full cord--even from the guys who swore up and down that they hated people who shorted their customers and that they "always delivered a little over just to be sure."
Now I scrounge my own, and I couldn't be happier!!

NP

I agree with Nonprophet. I'd add that if you do find a decent source, stick with them and don't be lured by someone offering a slightly cheaper deal. I buy truckloads of treelength that last me about 2 years. This year though, by the time I had the last of it in my barn , I could see that i was about a cord short for this winter. I called a local guy who proceded to tell me his wood was "bone dry" but because he was going to have to resplit it for my cookstove he would have to chage me a premium. I agreed cause it wasn't that significant and he shows up with a dump truck of wood that had obviously just been through a processor. The wood was good maple but it was nowhere near "bone dry". I called the guy, told him what I knew (you can't resplit through a processor anyways) and he agreed to a lower price and I kept it for next year. Then I called an old friend I used to buy processed wood from and got a nice well seasoned (going grey) cord to fill up for this season. You know the moral of this story.

So did they succeed taking your freshly cut stacked wood? Thats when u pull out the good ol Remi 870, right? Sounds like a good western!

Seriously, People always trying to fool and live of the honest hard working individuals. Good thing you put a stop on that check!

Highbeam said:
If I was selling wood, I would not take checks. This whole thing could have gotten ugly.
I saw a sign in a shop that said "In God we trust, all others pay cash".

I have always paid cash on the dash.

Take this for what it's worth as it is just one guys experience. But I have noticed that over the years I have ALWAYS had better luck/wood from the guys that take checks vs the ones who say cash only. Also, as said above I've never ever gotten all the wood I paid for, I just adjust the price per cord accordingly when comparing.

So many ugly stories in the forum.... Crooked sellers, yes. But are we guilty of not asking enough questions, too?
Wood species, cord size, when split (not when cut), size of splits, etc.
I'm glad you were able to stop payment on the cheque.

maplewood said:
So many ugly stories in the forum.... Crooked sellers, yes. But are we guilty of not asking enough questions, too?
Wood species, cord size, when split (not when cut), size of splits, etc.
I'm glad you were able to stop payment on the cheque.

That is a really good point too. I for one have learned something in every load of wood I bought. Just when I thought I knew all the questions to ask I got a load of seasoned wood that really was seasoned but the outer 2 inches of wood was rotten on every piece. Added it to the list....

Before I order wood now, I write down all my questions so that I don't forget them once I'm on the phone, I even put options next to them in some cases(yes/no) to circle so I can pay attention at the same time.

"i read in Pop Sci a few years back that burning dung is one of the key contributers to the poor air quality in asia. whacky eh?"

I bet it's not being properly seasoned.

My first year burning was last year.

My first wood delivery was for 2 cords of cherry and they delivered it in 2 pickup truck loads. I stacked it and it equaled 1 cord. I called and complained that some of it was rotted and pulpy and they need to bring 2 more loads to equal 2 cords. They brought me 1 more pick up truck load and took the bad stuff - I never used them again. A landscaping company in Vernon NJ.

My next vendor was mulch specalties in Lafayette NJ and he delivered a true cord of wood (oak) and I used him twice. However, his wood was not fully seasoned.

The last dealer I called was a kid from the community who has his own business. He also delivered a full cord, but the wood was not well seasoned.

HENCE - the reason I scrounge and do my own wood. The only way to get good wood is to buy it a year ahead and season it yourself. I now have over 8 cords at my house I scrounged. 4 for this year and 4 for next. I am working on more! And my wood is good!!

I bought 4 cords from a dealer who advertised "seasoned wood" and I was here when he dropped it off. Now I asked him at least twice if it was good and seasoned to burn this year and he said yup good to go this year...well when he dumped it onto my yard ( I got it unsplit to try and save $) I just couldn't help but to comment " Hmmm I didn't know seasoned wood came with twigs sticking out of the round with green leaves" he really didn't have much to say obviously he was called out. I still paid him as he did give me a fair amount of wood and I will use it next season. I had to go buy other wood however that I can use this season.

ratherbfishin said:
I bought 4 cords from a dealer who advertised "seasoned wood" and I was here when he dropped it off. Now I asked him at least twice if it was good and seasoned to burn this year and he said yup good to go this year...well when he dumped it onto my yard ( I got it unsplit to try and save $)

I agree that a dealer shouldn't be describing wood as "seasoned" that still has twigs with green leaves on it............

That being said there's no such thing as "seasoned unsplit wood" (they're mutually exclusive in my book) and you have to take some responsibility for trying to "save $" by buying unsplit rounds that shouldn't really be expected to be "seasoned" no matter what the dealer says............

Live and learn, and least you've got a good start on next year's supply!

NP

It seems these thread always have the same common mistake on the part of the buyer, it seems they always wait until the seller has dropped off the wood and been paid before the buyer realizes the wood is not seasoned.
My advice, BEFORE you get them to unload the wood, check it with a moisture meter, and a flashlight if need be, but don't wait until they have dropped it off in your driveway and paid them. You'll have much less aggravation on the part of both parties.

tough to whip out the moisture meter in the pouring rain tho, eh? :)

Gotta go by look and feel. Bark falling off and/or gone on most of the pieces? soaking wet splits look gray and checked? no 'fresh-split' smell? clink instead of clunk?

i'm tickled pink w/ the seasoned wood i bought this year - burns amazingly well! no sizzle! lights right up! and i'm not supplementing w/ anything, either :) *happydance*

I don't think asking a dealer if the wood is ready to burn will give any useful information. Many people seem to think any wood that is split is ready to burn. Similarly, asking if wood is seasoned will probably always yield a 'yes,' but who knows what definition of seasoned the dealer is using? I'd ask for specifics on when the wood was split, how it was stored, and how it will be delivered. If your dealer says your seasoned wood just came out of the processor and the four cords of wood will be delivered in a pickup truck, that is a hint there may be a gap in communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.