1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pile of Soot On Baffle, Baffling

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mr A, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Got into the wood burner to get it ready for this winter. I removed the baffle to gain access to the flue, and there was already a cup, cup and a half of soot piled on top of the baffle. Brown coffee ground looking stuff. I haven't put the sooteater up the flue yet. I wonder if I had a rat scratching around in there, never heard any noises. Last winter was my first burning season, so probably used less than ideal wood, although my fires burned nicely and kept the place warm enough. Brand new SS flue, just one seasons use last year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PLAYS WITH FIRE

PLAYS WITH FIRE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I get this too...it's from the cap on mine. When I was done last season, the cap looked quite cruddy. Now it looks like new, must be self cleaning.:-D
  3. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Yes that is somewhat normal. about half way though the winter i will clean my baffles off . sometimes there is a pretty good layer of very fine ash on them(White). My older stove was the same way. White ash build up during burning season. If I do not clean flue in spring when I shut down for summer I will get a layer of brown which is dried up creosote flaking off from the flue assemble. not a lot cause I barely get 2 cups of soot when cleaning flue altogether
  4. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Mostly residue ash/soot from the stack.
    Better to fall back down onto the baffle than continue building up on the sides up the stack.
    Where you will really notice this is with a brand new liner or stack system.
    I remember when mine was new, I could literally hear the flakes falling down the liner every time I started from a cold start. As the liner heated up, the ash let loose and fell down the liner.
    First few times was the most noticeable. Don't hear anything anymore.
    Mitch Newton likes this.
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    That's normal , if U don't clean the chim in the spring ,during the summer it just dries out and falls off .
    Remember even dry wood has moisture in it, so when not burning for a period of time , no moisture
  6. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I got a pile of dead bat this year :-(
    HDRock likes this.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    My theory is that the daily heating and cooling of the pipe causes it to expand and shrink slightly, loosening the soot. Gravity takes over from there.
    rottiman and HDRock like this.