Pile of Soot On Baffle, Baffling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Got into the wood burner to get it ready for this winter. I removed the baffle to gain access to the flue, and there was already a cup, cup and a half of soot piled on top of the baffle. Brown coffee ground looking stuff. I haven't put the sooteater up the flue yet. I wonder if I had a rat scratching around in there, never heard any noises. Last winter was my first burning season, so probably used less than ideal wood, although my fires burned nicely and kept the place warm enough. Brand new SS flue, just one seasons use last year.

I get this too...it's from the cap on mine. When I was done last season, the cap looked quite cruddy. Now it looks like new, must be self cleaning.:-D

Yes that is somewhat normal. about half way though the winter i will clean my baffles off . sometimes there is a pretty good layer of very fine ash on them(White). My older stove was the same way. White ash build up during burning season. If I do not clean flue in spring when I shut down for summer I will get a layer of brown which is dried up creosote flaking off from the flue assemble. not a lot cause I barely get 2 cups of soot when cleaning flue altogether

Mostly residue ash/soot from the stack.
Better to fall back down onto the baffle than continue building up on the sides up the stack.
Where you will really notice this is with a brand new liner or stack system.
I remember when mine was new, I could literally hear the flakes falling down the liner every time I started from a cold start. As the liner heated up, the ash let loose and fell down the liner.
First few times was the most noticeable. Don't hear anything anymore.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
That's normal , if U don't clean the chim in the spring ,during the summer it just dries out and falls off .
Remember even dry wood has moisture in it, so when not burning for a period of time , no moisture

I got a pile of dead bat this year :-(

Reactions: HDRock
My theory is that the daily heating and cooling of the pipe causes it to expand and shrink slightly, loosening the soot. Gravity takes over from there.

Reactions: rottiman and HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.