Pile of white oak bits & pieces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably kiln dried. It would make good kindling

Welcome to the forum Oww My Back.

I agree with Sean. No doubt it is kiln dried but even it it isn't, I'd grab a few truck load of it. For sure I would not load the stove with it but burn small loads and/or mix with other wood. After we did some remodeling we had lots of cut-offs and we burned them in the fall of the year when we wanted just a short fire to take the chill out of the air. It works like a charm.

Some advise ,1- put this stuff where the running water will not wash it away after a rain, it floats because it is small and thin. 2- if you dump it, lay a tarp down and one on top as it goes bad fast, why I don't know but the last load I got like that went bad in less than a year. That wood may be different than what I got but better safe the sorry.

Grab it! At that price and they will load it for you. Nothing to lose, looks like some great kindling

Use/borrow a full size PU with side boards & get a few loads.
Great home heat, kindling & fire pit firewood !

Well we're in the middle of another snow storm but if we ever get some decent weather I will try to pick some up. I was thinking of possibly storing it in my basement, since I'm guessing there wouldn't be any bugs in wood like this? The wife won't let me unless I can be sure there's no bugs

Probably no bugs considering it looks like it is milled lumber. I wouldn't mind a small amount for kindling, but to me it looks like a pain in the neck to deal with.

Maybe paper grocery bags filled to the appropriate size for your stove for storage?? Toss one in and light??

Well we're in the middle of another snow storm but if we ever get some decent weather I will try to pick some up. I was thinking of possibly storing it in my basement, since I'm guessing there wouldn't be any bugs in wood like this? The wife won't let me unless I can be sure there's no bugs

I've noticed the radar and looks like a bunch of snow fell today and still falling.

Don't worry about bugs but I still would not store it in the basement. So much better to store it outside and it will dry further and just make it that much better wood to burn.

I used to get oak cut offs ( and slabs ) from someone making custom skids/pallets
and one of my sisters was dating a cabinet maker for quite a while. I gave him grain bags and sunflower seed bags to put cutoffs in. Although after a while I was dumping his huge brown barrels into the bags. Pretty easy to heft around. Stacked them in the garage and basement. All were quite dry though.

I stacked four skids around one on the ground to make a little corral to dump them in which worked well until I wanted to use them. Picking them out to use was a PITA. Hence the bags.

I still use the bags for my own carpentry cutoffs.

Kind of a PITA to mix in and burn - not too bad actually for small fires this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.