Pilet light wont stay on!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdinho

Jan 5, 2015
CT
Hello,

I recently purchased a house with a propane fire place. It was working great for the past couple months and now the pilot light wont stay on and is hard to light. When we do eventually get the fireplace working it will stay on for a while and then the flames will go out and we are left with just the gas coming out. Our propane guy told us to leave the pilot lit at all times to keep the line from getting clogged and it wont stay on at all now. It is a Temco vent free fireplace Model# AD31P. From what I understand it needs a new thermocoupler but I am having a very difficult time finding parts. Could anyone help?

With that unit, you can't just replace the Thermocouple. You have to replace the ENTIRE pilot assembly.
Before you do that, tho, take a closer look at the pilot tube. There is a small hole, maybe 3/32" diameter in one
side of the pilot tube. See if you can blow that hole free of dust or possibly soot. That is the location of the
Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) which causes the unit to shut down if not enough Oxygen is present in the room.
Dirt, dust, & soot debris can get in that hole & give a false reading.
To clear it, use a can of spray air like you'd use on a keyboard.

My father looked at this and said it was clean, I will have him check again. He seems to think there is not enough gas flow becuase the pilot flame is not touching the thermocouple. Should it be? If so would you know how to adjust that?

Without seeing the gas valve, I can't say. See if there is a screw labelled "PILOT" or "PILOT ADJUSTMENT"...
Post a pic of the gas valve if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.