Pilot gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Batchelor

Mar 18, 2016
Ontario, Canada.
Hi everyone,

I just arrived! Thanks for having me. I have a Vermont Casting gas stove - about 15 years old. The pilot stayed on but the main flame would not. I replaced the thermopile because it had a very low voltage reading (<300 mV).

Everything works fine now, but in doing so, the gasket under the pilot/thermocouple/thermopile assembly fell apart. The assembly sits on the left floor of the stove. I can hear the pilot running and am also concerned about CO coming back into the room. So, the gasket needs to be replaced. Can I use high temperature silicon? I would apply it, let it dry, and then re-assemble. I have a small tube of engine valve cover sealant that has an upper limit of 700 degrees F. I would like to think that would be plenty. If it were the doors, I'd buy a replacement kit. Thoughts?

Many thanks! Best...

- Lee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.