Pilot Light Won't Stay On

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LAndrim

Jan 1, 2011
Outside of Philly
Hi,
Can anyone offer some advice for why my pilot light won't stay on?

I have a Heat n Glo Tiara I propane stove...just gave it a thorough cleaning, (compressed air and vacuum) and tried to light it.

1. I depressed the pilot button, heard the familiar "click, click click"
2. Then the pilot light came on (good strong flame)
3. I held it in for about 30 seconds to stabilize
4. When I let go of the pilot, flame went out.

Retried these steps, but still won't stay on.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks much!

Jamie

If you have auto ignition when you hold the button down, it has a Ignition Control Module that senses the flame through a rod that looks like the spark electrode. Electric current passes through a flame and the flame touching the sensor rod completes the circuit through the board to keep it on. Make sure the rod is super clean as in polished to make good electrical contact. (Scotch Brite or fine steel wool). With sensor rod glowing, you should have at least .14 micoamps with multimeter (in series to module).That type does not use a thermocouple to generate the voltage to hold a safety valve open.
If you had it apart, make sure the sense wire (white) and orange wire (ignitor) is on the correct terminal at module board and pilot assembly ! Wouldn't be the first time it sparked through the sense rod and tried to sense through the electrode......

If you have auto ignition when you hold the button down, it has a Ignition Control Module that senses the flame through a rod that looks like the spark electrode. Electric current passes through a flame and the flame touching the sensor rod completes the circuit through the board to keep it on. Make sure the rod is super clean as in polished to make good electrical contact. (Scotch Brite or fine steel wool). With sensor rod glowing, you should have at least .14 micoamps with multimeter (in series to module).That type does not use a thermocouple to generate the voltage to hold a safety valve open.
If you had it apart, make sure the sense wire (white) and orange wire (ignitor) is on the correct terminal at module board and pilot assembly ! Wouldn't be the first time it sparked through the sense rod and tried to sense through the electrode......

he doesn't say how old it is, but if he has to hold a button its a std SIT valve standing pilot model
i agree with bob, replace thermo couple

only the new ones have ipi

Thanks all!
I failed to mention that I am NOT a stove geek, and some things are above my head (measuring in milliamps etc).

I did use a brass brush to really clean things...vacuumed really good...then used compressed air to blow crud out. Still can't keep the pilot on.

I'm pretty handy and will try to replace the thermocouple ( found a sit thermocouple on Fire-Parts.com for about $12.) Will let you know if that is successful.

Most of all, thank you Heatsource, Coaly, and Daksy, your willingness to share you wisdom is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.