Pimp my Ash Trap Shop Vac Adapter! -- or -- Spice up my hand turned Vac Adapter!! For a nicer lookin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

After Applying 3 coats of Royal Blue Interior/Exterior Latex Enamel by Carver Tripp, I put 2 coats of Interior Water Based Clear Satin Varathane Diamond Polyurethane over the wooden piece for a very shinny and smooth as silk look and feel! Lightly sanding between every coat.

Then I replaced the Home Depot hard plastic tubing with a 25 cent piece of Lowes 1/2" OD super flexible Black Vinyl Tubing to really get into the sharp corners and keep the tube always clean very shinny in appearance!!!

Wiping the adapter with the paper towel or rag used for the pellet stove door window cleaning keeps this Ash Trap Adapter clean and shinny after every use!

Does anyone else have pics of their finished adapter. Stained or Chromed or with decals??

How does it look Now Nailer??
BTW: Nice pics on how you made the wooden piece >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64762/

Attachments

• AshTrapCleaningToolMod3sc.jpg
    AshTrapCleaningToolMod3sc.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 634
Wow that's fancy. I'm more of a duct tape, length of tubing attached to an old vacuum attachment kind of person.

rehabbingisgreen said:
Wow that's fancy. I'm more of a duct tape, length of tubing attached to an old vacuum attachment kind of person.

What he said !

Don,

Lookin' good.

I think if we get someone to chrome and decal one we should apply to NASCAR for licensing :)

---Nailer---

rehabbingisgreen said:
I'm more of a duct tape, length of tubing attached to an old vacuum attachment kind of person.

Same here! Mike from ESW taught us seasoned hearth members well. :coolsmirk:

Gee Don2222,

I thought I was doing good to put three coats of satin finish Minwax poly on the adapter that "Nailed-Nailer" made for me.

You just had to go and put a better finish on yours!! :)

I guess it just shows that we both ( as well as others) appreciate Nailers work and generosity, as well as respect for tools.

Regards,

Ranger

I'll take a custom made nailed-nailer one over duct tape anyday. Proudly made for our hearth members with sweat and love!

Nailer, Thanks for taking care of the group! :)

j-takeman said:
I'll take a custom made nailed-nailer one over duct tape anyday. Proudly made for our hearth members with sweat and love!

Nailer, Thanks for taking care of the group! :)

Me too...... What he said!

My wife hides one of those in her nightstand... but it has a battery!

krooser said:
You mean it doesn't run on pellets??? :bug:

I had the pleasure of putting my Nailer-built vac adapter to good use yesterday, cleaning the stove after my 2 month, 59 bag burning odyssey, and have to say that it works GREAT!

Got easily into all those nooks & crannys that I tried to get to last spring (with a piece of old rubber washing machine water hose taped to the vac nozzle).

Thanks again Nailer for a great addition to my stove cleaning tools. :)

Indy3 said:
krooser said:
You mean it doesn't run on pellets??? :bug:

Nope... 24V lithium ion...

Pete,

Glad I could help out with the Hazmat spill you dealt with this weekend. Sheesh, you need a replacement adapter yet? That bad boy got a workout. :)

I have to make a couple of more this week.

If anyone wants one just PM me a mailing address and your Vac Hose inside diameter.

I'll be mailing them out by Thursday.

---Nailer---

Hello Mike

Good work on those adapters, they work great!!

I am thinking of another possible change. After removing the Iron looking brick in back of the fire box, If the tubing is longer it will be able to go into the top of the ash trap chamber and reach all the way to the bottom where the trap is. Now if there was a small brush on the end, it will remove most of the ash on the sides of the chamber!!

A small flue brush.
8 Inches in length may be too long and could be cut down.
Also, If the right diameter flue brush below is attached to the end of the tubing, would it work??
http://www.tanisinc.com/tb_flue.php

Maybe to keep it simple, just keep the mini brush separate and then vac out the ash trap with our adapter when done brushing??

So great work Mike, thanks again.

Mike rocks.i stripped my stove down today and cleaned it from top to bottom.vac adapter was a huge help.thanks Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.