pin hole in new flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
I just received a stainless steel flex liner in the mail. I won't reveal the dealer or manufacturer. I just discovered that the liner has a pin hole in it. I assume this is not good and i should replace this liner with one that is air tight before I install it in my chimney.

Does anyone have any recommendations for type of flex liner and where i can get it?

Thanks.

Why not name the liner manufacturer and then see what they would do to correct the problem?

By that answer I know who the manufacture is.... But I won't reveal it either...

I'm curious. What is the nature of the pin hole? Is it due to damage during packaging or shipping or was is something that appears to have been there during the manufacturing process. Is it at the seam or in the corrugations?

It seems to have occurred during packing or shipping. It is not at a seem. I discovered it by placing a flashlight in the pipe in my dark basement.

Just FYI, most liner systems are not in any way "air tight" or "gas tight". A rigid liner or seams between flex and straight have holes or gaps in them a LOT larger than pin holes (where the pipes meet).....

I'm just guessing, but I think if a person put a flashlight into lots of .005 liners, they might find lots of pinholes!

Not that it should not be replaced, just noting that a properly installed liner will not leak out of seams and pin holes, but rather pull air in (a tiny amount) through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.