Pin hole leak in cylinder. Now what.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never trust the repaired cylinder. In the Air Force I saw people "lasered" by 3000 psi, pin-hole hydraulic leaks -- cuts to the bone in a second -- stay there and it'll cut though the bone.

The safety of anyone standing near the unit is worth the cost of a new cylinder.

I got the cylinder back today. $50 for the weld job. The machinist said the pin hole was only about 1/4 long but he welded over 2 1/2 inches around it.

More pictures in the last 5 of this sequence:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...1sRgCIjZ1bCg98O9Gg&invite=CNWhtZgK&feat=email

Btw, since I expected to have to refill the hydraulic fluid tank, I shopped around for fluid. The best deal I found was 5 gallons of AW32 for $40 at Friedmans hardware.

So now I have $525 invested in this thing. Of course the neighbors have chipped in some.

Attachments

• WeldedCylinder.compressed.jpg
    WeldedCylinder.compressed.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 254
Looks like it was rubbing on the I-beam. Any way you can prevent that from continuing to happen?

Hi,

No the piston was not rubbing on the I beam.

While he said he was going to pull the piston befor welding it, when I got there to pick it up, I asked him if he did. He said there was no real reason since it was 4 inches from the weld zone. But you are correct. He should have done that. Now, of course, I have to put the whole thing back together to see if the seals are melted and then, if they are trash the cylinder and buy a new one. Doohhh!

Attachments

• LeakingFixedCylinder.compressed.jpg
    LeakingFixedCylinder.compressed.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 246
Good grief, that looks bad. I hope you are going for a new cylinder this time.

And what's with that hydraulic fluid? The pics look like it has entrained air or something.

Yup. New cylinder time. Neighbors are kicking in $250. Don't know what to say about the fluid. Since the cylinder was empty when I started, the air could be from the priming process. What a PITA. I can say this about hydraulic fluid, it makes a great skin softener.

Ok, so I ordered a new cylinder for $288. But now its on back order with an unknown delivery date.

I took the old cylinder back to the machinist who apologized and re-welded the crack. I put it back on the splitter and after an hour of splitting tough wood there is no leakage.

Once the new cylinder arrives I will replace it. In the mean time, I won't lend it out to the neighbors and have put a feeble protective shroud around the top which should deflect any further leaks. Its made from a plastic paint pale.

Attachments

• LeakProtection.compressed.jpg
    LeakProtection.compressed.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 246
I'd just wait and do your splitting later or source the piston elsewhere if you need to work now. Why keep pushing your luck?

The arborists keep making drops and I have to clear out space for new ones. I've had 4 drops this week alone. If I wait till I get the new cylinder (who knows how long that will be) they might start to pass me by as being "full".

Point well taken though. Better safe that sorry. I appreciate your advise.

Well, I've put about 10 hours on the welded cylinder and split about 3 cords of arborist dump: oak, pine, and magnolia. Five dumps in all. So far no leaks. The new cylinder is comming in on Saturday.

HeatsTwice said:
Dune said:
I agree with White pine. Hydraulic leaks, ESPECIALY PINHOLES can be extremely dangerous, even fatal. For $140, buy a new cylinder.

Yes I am beginning to agree. I took the cylinder off today and the spot where the leak is, not previously viewable since it pointed directly at the I beam, looks like the begining of a full fledge failure of the metal - the pin hole was just the beginning.

I will take it down to the hydrolic shop soon and get their recomendations.

+1
Smart move. They may fix it cheaper than you think.
At least then "you know what the best solution is"

Status
Not open for further replies.