Pin Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Feb 18, 2010
St. Louis
While driving to get a haircut, I passed a crew cutting down a pin oak by the local high school. I hoped that it would still be there after I got done. Well, they were still going at it. I turned the corner and what do I see...a second pin oak trunk sitting already cut up. I asked what was happening with it and they said the first person to gets it. I ran and got my dad's truck, x27, maul, wedges and dolly and went to work. While out splitting an elderly fellow walked up to me and handed me a wedge. He told me that he didn't need it anymore. Being 91 he didn't split to much wood anymore. I thanked him. I don't know what brand it is, but it was made in America and he must have just put an edge on it.
Anyway I loaded up the truck twice over and there is still more. They wanted me to stay out of the area they are working in at the time.
My camera is in Belize with my mother in law, so pics will come later.

Great score - now go get the rest! Don't let it walk..... get it all!

Should have told the old guy about the Fiskars; You can hand split 'til you're 120 with that thing. :lol:
Nice score. Gotta love it when it's already bucked for you. I've got a couple of down Pins to get yet. I'm figuring at least two years to dry since they were live trees that storms took out.

Good for you Wingman. I finished cutting up another pin oak yesterday and will probably do another one this weekend.

I went back for another load...Three truck loads! There was still a little out there but alot of it was shorts, uglies and crotches. There was another brush pile 100' down the road but I ran out of space and time. I figure it will probably be around a cord or so. So there is a good start on 13-14.

Nice score.
Sounds like you were having fun & got some good BTU wood.
Uglies burn just fine :)
Good job!

Sorry, without pics to prove it, it didn't happen ;)

Sounds like a good one wingman and you can let it season as well. Go back at daylight and get the rest of it. :)

GEDC0957.jpg

GEDC0956.jpg

WOW
Most of it is split already!
Get that stacked up soon, snow is coming :lol:
Well after you get the rest of it home.
Good job!

Its heavy too. My back hurts just looking at the pictures.

Backwoods Savage said:
Its heavy too. My back hurts just looking at the pictures.

So does mine. I haven't had to do much wood moving or splitting for a while and my body is telling me so.
The full time job is going to keep me away from the stash for awhile but I have another Oak(Black) thats down that I have my eyes on. I'll have to buck it but I can at least get it the all the same length.

Status
Not open for further replies.