Pin oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Almost done with the first pin oak that came down last July. Only a little bit of the top limbs yet to cut up but the trunk is done and waiting to be split.

My wife was a big help with this. While I hauled out a load, she would then roll the logs out to where we could load them onto the trailer. This got me wondering so this morning I weighed a couple logs. 12' from the butt, I weighed 2 of them. Average weight was 130 lbs. Not sure what that butt log weighed but I can say it was heavy.

So, little wifey can still handle some of these big guys! Yes, she is a big help. This afternoon I spent clearing a couple trails and got another load of ash to finish the day. It really was nice working in the sunshine even if it was a bit breezy. Temperature now stands at 36 degrees. Warmer predicted for this weekend.

Oak-a.JPG Oak-b.JPG

Pin oak is some heavy stuff, stinky and stringy, but as you know will be some good burning. Nice rounds. Thumbs up to the wife helping. Will be looking forward to the splitting pics too! That will be in the spring right? Be well

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Gonna be tough lifting those 130lb rounds up on the splitter. Better noodle 'em first.

Ha! There will be no lifting those up on the splitter. They will be rolled onto the splitter and not lifted; the way it should be done. ;)

Oooh... Some beautiful Oak there Dennis. Im sure you and Judy will enjoy it in 5-7 yrs when you get to it ;)

J/K.... :) Definitely gonna take a few years of sittin. Looking forward to pics of those stacks for years to come.

As you said, warmer weather is moving in, gonna get sloppy out there, soon.. :(

Wow! Nice looking rounds Dennis!

Since they are so heavy and your the vertical splitting master, I feel obligated to offer you a trade even up. You get some great big huge stinky, twisted rounds of the amazing elm that I just got and I will take the worthless pin oak of your hands? I'm just concerned that you will burn this oak this fall without properly seasoning! :eek:

Nice looking oak. We will enjoy see the fruits of your labor as much as you will enjoy being warmed by it.;)

Wow! Nice looking rounds Dennis!

Since they are so heavy and your the vertical splitting master, I feel obligated to offer you a trade even up. You get some great big huge stinky, twisted rounds of the amazing elm that I just got and I will take the worthless pin oak of your hands? I'm just concerned that you will burn this oak this fall without properly seasoning! :eek:

We'll have to consider that one.....maybe in a few years...

Went back to cutting more ash yesterday afternoon and today. Probably get to that other oak next week. Maybe next year. Who knows? Who cares? We still have plenty.

Reactions: wishlist and zap
Very nice Dennis I wish I could find perfect rounds like that everywhere I cut at ! It looks like a nice rounds to embarrass the Fiskars again to lol...

Pete

We'll have to consider that one.....maybe in a few years...

Went back to cutting more ash yesterday afternoon and today. Probably get to that other oak next week. Maybe next year. Who knows? Who cares? We still have plenty.
He's all heart Sav, all heart!

That pile of rounds is a thing of beauty, D. :cool:
Who knows? Who cares? We still have plenty.
Nice feeling, ain't it? ==c I'm nervous again, now that I have to supply the Buck 91 with wood. Need to get further ahead to have dry wood for all. Like you say, once you burn the dry stuff, there's no going back!

Wow, I'm tired just looking at the pile! Great work Dennis (and wife) :)

She's a keeper that's for sure!

Last weekend I was out splitting up some rounds and the wife came out and started pulling out splits and rounds that were over 20" in length so I could cut them down later. I thought that was awesome!

And last Saturday afternoon we cut a couple loads. Mostly dead elm. Cutting the small stuff takes a lot longer than cutting the big stuff and with her helping it cuts the time in half. Yes, I am very thankful and will keep her a few more days at least.

Reactions: zap and wishlist
And last Saturday afternoon we cut a couple loads. Mostly dead elm. Cutting the small stuff takes a lot longer than cutting the big stuff and with her helping it cuts the time in half. Yes, I am very thankful and will keep her a few more days at least.
Only a few more, until spring Sav, after the splitting all bets are off!:)

Well, at least 2 more months before the splitting starts.

You are right about that. Had me a bit worried when we got that super warm last week but maybe we'll get frost back into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.