Pin oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Got busy and cut up the pin oak. It is done except for some of the limbs and I'll wait until the ornery one can help with those. Overall the hip did pretty good while cutting and walking amongst all those limbs that a pin oak always has.

I intended to cut 8' logs and move them out but I cut 3 of those and they all had limbs on the bottom sticking in the ground so I could not roll them, so just cut it where it was. Now the hard work comes in hauling it out. I want to get it out of there because if we hit a wet period this spring it would be laying in the water. Methinks it already has enough moisture in it.

CopyofPinoakcut-2.gif

Sure make that saw look little......Nice tree!

Ya Jay. I'm wondering just how much wood is in that thing. It will come in handy in the cold part of winter in a couple years.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya Jay. I'm wondering just how much wood is in that thing. It will come in handy in the cold part of winter in a couple years.

It looks and Its just a guess 2-1/4 cord.

Jay, when I split it I'll try to keep it all separate so we'll know how much was in it.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1302200748"]Got busy and cut up the pin oak. It is done except for some of the limbs and I'll wait until the ornery one can help with those. Overall the hip did pretty good while cutting and walking amongst all those limbs that a pin oak always has.

I intended to cut 8' logs and move them out but I cut 3 of those and they all had limbs on the bottom sticking in the ground so I could not roll them, so just cut it where it was. Now the hard work comes in hauling it out. I want to get it out of there because if we hit a wet period this spring it would be laying in the water. Methinks it already has enough moisture in it.

Sav nice job on the pin oak, glad the hip did pretty good. How are you hauling it out?

Zap

Very nice, That will keep you warm for a while when it's ready to burn.

Zap, I'll just roll the logs onto the trailer. It is quite low to the ground so it shouldn't be too bad. If it is too hard to do, I'll just call on my wife to load them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I'll just roll the logs onto the trailer. It is quite low to the ground so it shouldn't be too bad. If it is too hard to do, I'll just call on my wife to load them.

Sounds like a good plan. I think tonight I'll take a run back in and see if we lost anymore snow, still running with chains on. :coolmad:

Zap

Those rounds actually rolled up quite easy. I used the cant hook on exactly one round. I hauled out somewhere around 20 rounds so far. I ran out of gas so called it a day.

Good job Dennis. I'm glad you stopped when you got tired. There's no sense in overdoing it just yet.
Hope your hip is doing ok tomorrow.
Looks like most of your snow is gone!? We still have some pretty heavy patches in the woods, and piles where I ran the plow.

Dave, indeed there is very little snow left now. This afternoon we even had a little bit of sunshine and it got up to 50 so we lost a lot of snow just today. Most of what is left is by the pines or where snow was pushed. I am very pleased to see it go this year.

I had thought about perhaps starting the splitting job and did move the splitter from the barn to the splitting pile but I was just too tired today to do any more. So here I sit relaxing and wishing I was out riding my bike. It sounds like I may be able to get in a ride or 2 this weekend. Probably can't go very far yet but it will be good to be back on the bike again.

Weight is what broke the bridge Dave! Whoops, you spelled it differently. Well, I really wanted to get it out of there because if we do get a really wet spell, which I still think we will, it would be sitting in water and I don't want that. But there is still a little to do yet and the wife has agreed to help. It is just the limbs that were large enough to make firewood that has to be cut though. Of course, there are some other ones that should be cut too....

The stress that down tree was putting on you was bad for your health.
Best medicine, be happy :)
Glad to see you out & about & busy. Good for you.

After doing just a little bit outdoors, I've declared today as an official rest day. My body needs it for sure. But, maybe I'll feel better this afternoon.

I never get more than a cord out of an oak that size here.
Bottom ten feet are always hollow.
Never tried to actually calculate what I lose to carpenter ants beyond < too much.>
Be interesting to see what you get.

billb3 said:
Never tried to actually calculate what I lose to carpenter ants beyond < too much.>

Dennis has an oak stretcher....Its that blue thing in the pic..LOL

You won't find many hollow trees around here. You may be right about the cord of wood though.

billb3 said:

How many inchs is it across again?

smokinjay said:
billb3 said:

Dennis has an oak stretcher....Its that blue thing in the pic..LOL

:lol: I wondered what that tool was!

30" at the butt.

Backwoods Savage said:
30" at the butt.

I will stick with 2-1/4 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.