Pine Barren Stoves, anybody know anything about em?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
I might have a chance to get one, and I talked to the manufacturer. He's a guy living and working in NJ, not far away. He stopped making wood stoves for Phase II epa certification, as the cert process (according to him) was too much of a pain in the ass. HE now makes coal stoves (epa exempt). He told me this stove is a coal/wood stove that will hold 90 lbs of coal and burn for three days, or hold a nice bit of wood, and burn for many hours (was not specific).

Any experience with them?

Thanks in advance

Joshua

joshuaviktor said:
I might have a chance to get one, and I talked to the manufacturer. He's a guy living and working in NJ, not far away. He stopped making wood stoves for Phase II epa certification, as the cert process (according to him) was too much of a pain in the ass. HE now makes coal stoves (epa exempt). He told me this stove is a coal/wood stove that will hold 90 lbs of coal and burn for three days, or hold a nice bit of wood, and burn for many hours (was not specific).

Any experience with them?

Thanks in advance

Joshua

He has them made a few at a time at a local fabricator. I used to live a few miles from the factory store...and the factory, which was a general fabricator.....

I think you can do much better when it comes to coal stoves, especially considering future parts, etc. etc.- one guy making stoves is not my idea of "The Rock".....

We used to joke around at our shop that these stoves were designed on a napkin at the Vincentown Diner (local eatery) - the joke went even further as we would explain that they ended up with 2 draft controls because some ketshup spilled!

On the other hand, I have to give the guy credit for surviving - 95%+ of the others did not. Perhaps he will see a little burst from the coal stove demand.

I you are getting some kind of great deal that may be another thing....

Otherwise, look at Russo if they are still making (I think they do), or Harman (perhaps overpriced, but check), or dig around elsewhere. Pine Barren stoves do work and the coal stuff is better than their old wood stuff - but I would have some concern about replacement parts, etc.

George said:
I stopped in his place about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and had a 1/2 hr long conversation with him. Neat guy, knows his stuff, and I've seen a few of his wood burning stoves in operation. Definitely built to last, but haven't seen any of his coal stoves, other than what was in his shop, and that was in July. Craig could probably give you more info, but I suspect he'd give you a pretty good stove, and very good service. Piney Power :exclaim: You could do worse.

Wait!

How the heck could he be selling wood stoves? As I remember, they were never certified even way back?
Check the EPA lists!

Although I like to support small business, when it is a part-time venture of one person, perhaps in this day and age that is not big enough.

AS he explained to me, he is now selling coal stoves only, as they are EPA exempt. The one I'm talking about is wood/coal. Anyway, he told me he has every screw, nut, bolt, piece, etc, in stock, or easily available. It looks built to last, and if I can get it for hundreds of dollars, rather than thousands, it will hold me over until I get a new job(mo money), and can afford my Pacific Energy Summit Insert. Additional question. If I install a good 6 inch chimney liner (doublewall), and I get in the future a stove/insert with an 8 inch flue, can you adapt? Or have to replace chimney liner? I know most new wood stoves/inserts are coming out with 6 inchers, right?

Thanks

Joshua

< I'm just saying

How can a coal stove be exempt if you can also burn wood in it?
How do you get a coal fire started...... with WOOD ugh, the Government is maddening sometimes
Are all the coal fired power plants in this country also exempt? (I know they have scrubbers etc in the stacks to eliminate particulates.....)

How can a coal stove be exempt if you can also burn wood in it?

See the thread about the TLC-2000. As long as the manufacturer doesn't label it was a wood stove it's EPA exempt. Their claim is that they never said you could burn wood in it, and what you do when you get the stove home is out of their control.

EVEN though stoves like the TLC and that other hulking boiler plate stove that Harman makes have both wood air control and coal air control, they are sold as (wink wink) coal
only!

It's a hole in the rules that allows dirty stoves with absolutely no means of reburning the particulate matter to find their way onto the market.

What kind of efficiency do you see on stoves like that?

Joshua
Do you have a web address for the guy that makes the pine barren stove? I have 2 of them. They work great. need a couple of things for 1 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.