Pine Burners with a non cat EPA certified wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
For those who burn pine with a non cat EPA certified woodstove how many times do you clean your chimney during the heating season?

Zap

Zap, that all depends on the stove. All the stoves we had has burned pine with no problem. As for the chimney cleaning, that does depend a lot upon the stove. Our last stove was a hog and we cleaned the chimney a lot no matter what we burned. I recall some of the older stoves and we very rarely cleaned the chimney, but those burned a lot different than today's stoves.

As long as you season the wood you have nothing to be concerned with.

First year with our Castine. I pulled the base plug of the chimney and cleaned it a few weeks ago. Now, again, first year burner with an EPA stove and I burned a lot of dry, but punky pine and had quite a few "boy that glass looks black" fires while I still learned. The only thing that came out was very light brown dust/ash.

As Dennis said...as long as it's seasoned, you'll be just fine. Just don't expect to get many coals out of the stuff. :lol:

Skier76 said:
Just don't expect to get many coals out of the stuff. :lol:

One of Pine's finer features. Throw a load in and it burns just about everything up in the bottom of your stove before you dump your ashes.

Once each summer after I'm sure the burning season's over. Some years the weather really fakes me out. Last year, after a few days in May in the 80's, I had my shop stove disassembled, waiting on firebrick to be delivered to my local Ace Hardware, then the temp plummeted. B-R-R! Anymore, I wait until July to do both stoves. I never do any sort of mid-season cleaning. Rick

I burned four or five face cord of seasoned white pine last year, and it was some of the cleanest burning stuff that touched my Endeavor's fire box.

I burn pinon pine and clean once my chimneys once a year. Could easily get away with every other year. Easily.

zapny said:
For those who burn pine with a non cat EPA certified woodstove how many times do you clean your chimney during the heating season?

Zap

Zero. The constant chimney fires keep it clean.

I clean mine every 3-4 weeks. I NEVER have to worry about anything then. Note, I run a BKK at it just idles a lot. I burn pine , and cottonwood as the 2 main woods, I attempt to get a 600 degree fire in the am to kinda clean it out a bit for 30 min or so. In 3 weeks, the top of the chimney is closing up a tad, just crusty nasty stuff. I can clean my chimney in less than 2 min, ladder is already there with the bush right there, just throw the steel catch bucket in the fire box, run up, brush, and take out the bucket. I just let it burn down to a bed of coals and go for it.

stihltheone said:
I clean mine every 3-4 weeks. I NEVER have to worry about anything then. Note, I run a BKK at it just idles a lot. I burn pine , and cottonwood as the 2 main woods, I attempt to get a 600 degree fire in the am to kinda clean it out a bit for 30 min or so. In 3 weeks, the top of the chimney is closing up a tad, just crusty nasty stuff. I can clean my chimney in less than 2 min, ladder is already there with the bush right there, just throw the steel catch bucket in the fire box, run up, brush, and take out the bucket. I just let it burn down to a bed of coals and go for it.

You know you can skip the bucket and just reburn the chimney scrapings.

fossil said:
Once each summer after I'm sure the burning season's over. Some years the weather really fakes me out. Last year, after a few days in May in the 80's, I had my shop stove disassembled, waiting on firebrick to be delivered to my local Ace Hardware, then the temp plummeted. B-R-R! Anymore, I wait until July to do both stoves. I never do any sort of mid-season cleaning. Rick

Once. Usually in early Sept.

Same number of times as when I'm not burning pine. Once during the summer.

I inspect the system every month, and average out cleaning it about every 3-4 months. Depends on how many times the MIL lets the fire smolder for hours.

Well I'm not exclusively burning pine, but it seems like I've been burning a lot of white pine this Fall since I had two large pine branches come down last winter and it's like the proverbial loaf of bread and fish . . . it seems like I have a never-ending supply of pine . . . something my wife has commented on.

I treat seasoned pine like any other wood when it comes to cleaning . . . since I'm anal retentive and would never hear the end of it from the guys at work if I had a chimney fire, I check and clean the chimney monthly regardless of whether it needs a cleaning or not . . . since I do cleaning from the bottom it's a 10-minute "chore."

Cleaning the chimney ?

I must be doing something wrong.
When I look up/down there all I ever see is a tiny bit of grey dusty stuff.

After burning 8 cords last year, my first, we had a chimney guy come over and he ran his thing up the flue and pulled out nothing, saying it was clean :-O And I had lost sleep over that with worry of a chimney fire. I suppose it was clean due to my wife throwing wood in as fast as she can to make the house get to the high 70's during the day. I think we burn it too hot and waste a lot of wood but keep the chimney clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.