Pine drying time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
The thread "2 year pine" got me thinking. I have a large pine tree that got blown over by Sandy. I have burned pine before but it's always been dead when I've cut (dead standing, usually blown over). So assuming I get it c/s/s this month or next, how long would it take to season properly? Any chance of it being ready for next fall? I live in Virginia so we have rather warm spring and summer but unfortunately a good bit of humidity also.

I think the pine will be nicely dried by nect fall, assuming you stack it in a place with good air movement, not too many rows up against each other, etc.

I generally only let my pine seaon for a year. I would say if you get it c/s/s soon, it should be fine for Fall in Virginia. Which, I imagine, occurs a bit after our New England Fall, and even later than the Alaskan Fall - which I think starts in late July :)

It should be ready by next fall without a problem.

I've got some stacked from May of this year I could probably burn now, but I'll wait until next fall to burn it.
I'm burning some now that was c/s/s last fall.
Sounds like a plan to me.

Should be fine. I usually cut pine the winter before. split it, though it is a bit sticky lol. if you leave it in rounds it will take awhile but c/s/s and u will be good for next fall.

Yes . . . should be good to go by next Fall with no issues.

Should be good to go.
BroBart says 2 years makes it even better.
Worth saving some & trying it to see if you have the same results.
I CSS some live spruce in the late winter & it burned good the next fall.

evergreens here evolved to lose most all of their water before winter,
it's so cold any water in the trees does damage or makes them brittle & the wind snaps them off.
Many say if you need fire wood here, spruce is dry enough to cut in the winter & burn, but a years seasoning makes for some real good shoulder season wood.

I am currently burning some white pine that was cut and split in May. The bigger splits are still too moist but the smaller ones are fine. The big trick is, I found out, to keep it top-covered. The splits in the uncovered part of the stack are noticeably heavier. I have quite a bit more to split and will cover everything once it is stacked.

I stacked about a cord of pine last February - perfect for burning right now - I'd say you will be just fine - pine dries very fast. If at all worried, stack in single rows and it will be perfect. If pine takes more that a year to be good to burn, let's bump every other species to 2-3 years and oak to 5 years! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.