Pine Fairy Came to the Hood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
The subdivision next to ours is new and ~30 lots. Developer halfway built 2 houses and then went bellyup. Nice paved streets. People have decided the 4 cul de sacs are a dumping ground. This southern yellow pine is in ALL 4 cul de sacs. I bet it's 10-15 cords total. Many 1-1.5' rounds are 16-20" long, ready to split. Never burned pine but will some next year. This is too easy.

Attachments

• pine1.jpg
    pine1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 787
10-15 cords? That IS too easy. You'll be burning pine for the next five years.

We've got places like that all over right now. Developed but not built. I just scored some cherry from one of them. Got a small truckload because it was all the pieces I could lift. Didn't have my saw so will need to go back. Nothing like the quantities you are talkin though.. I kept my house warm with mostly pine this year and it was all cut up in rounds like that when I got it too. Some of the easiest splitting you'll do and it dries FAST.

I got some Red Pine last year and split it very small to use for starter wood. It was dead standing and it dried in a couple of months. Works great...ignites quick and gets a load burning in a hurry.

I just drive the truck into these cul de sacs and split right there. A fellow walking his dog sez "Now, pine will mess up your "chimley". I sez "Well, I'm gonna dry it real good and take my chances". LOL

Get that stuff split and off the ground fast. Like most people I just burned some dead and down pine every now and then. As an experiment two years ago I cut a huge live pine and split and stacked it and let is dry just like I do oak for two years.

That stuff burns wonderfully. Nice and even burn. And for a long time. Three big split are burning as I type. Three big splits of it burned from nine-thirty last night and the stove was still at 250 at nine this morning.

Reactions: Bacffin
Take it. I love pine.

Saved our butts last year .

BrotherBart said:
Get that stuff split and off the ground fast. Like most people I just burned some dead and down pine every now and then. As an experiment two years ago I cut a huge live pine and split and stacked it and let is dry just like I do oak for two years.

That stuff burns wonderfully. Nice and even burn. And for a long time. Three big split are burning as I type. Three big splits of it burned from nine-thirty last night and the stove was still at 250 at nine this morning.

I've found that to be the case too. Everyone talks about how fast it burns up but I don't have any trouble getting and overnight burn with big pine splits. Use it this year for the first time extensively and am very pleased. Like you it was a fresh tree that was c/s/s for about 9 months in Oct.

BrotherBart said:
I cut a huge live pine and split and stacked it and let is dry just like I do oak for two years.

WoodpileOCD said:
Everyone talks about how fast it burns up but I don't have any trouble getting and overnight burn with big pine splits.

That's crazy talk! This would make a mockery of all of us that proudly post of our latest high-BTU scores here! Half the bandwidth of the forum is used by the phrase "nice BTUs there." Do you mean to say that I've been busting a nut humpin' these massive waterlogged Oak rounds when I could be merrily skipping back to the trailer with a huge, lightweight Pine round under each arm,and still be getting 12-hour burns?? I wish you guys had said something sooner... :lol:

Reactions: Bacffin
Woody Stover said:
BrotherBart said:
I cut a huge live pine and split and stacked it and let is dry just like I do oak for two years.

WoodpileOCD said:
Everyone talks about how fast it burns up but I don't have any trouble getting and overnight burn with big pine splits.

That's crazy talk! This would make a mockery of all of us that proudly post of our latest high-BTU scores here! Half the bandwidth of the forum is used by the phrase "nice BTUs there." Do you mean to say that I've been busting a nut humpin' these massive waterlogged Oak rounds when I could be merrily skipping back to the trailer with a huge, lightweight Pine round under each arm,and still be getting 12-hour burns?? I wish you guys had said something sooner... :lol:

It may burn as long but there still is not as much heat in them, remember that.

well I will put my .02 cents in......I was selling or giving away all my hemlock and pine last year, and believe me I cut a TON of it over last summer. Anyway after joining this site and seeing just how many burn the pine, I figured I would give it a go (thanks Zap!). So we did a tall blue spruce for a customer around a month ago, and I C/S/S the whole tree right away (small 2 to 3" splits), and stacked it up behind the tool shed to use for my maple stove. Now, granted, the wood only seasoned a month, but you oughtta see the temps I am getting in that maple syrup evaporator! I have been mixing that spruce with ash, oak, and silver maple, and it is working like a charm! I will be saving a lot of pine this summer for both the maple stove and for my stove and fireplace in the house. I'm a new believer in the pine, and it isn't even fully seasoned yet!!

Bigg_Redd said:
Pine is great if you don't mind a chimney fire or two. Because that what pine does. It causes chimney fires.

And warts.

And hair growth on the palms of your hands. If that spreads to the heel of your foot, you really have some problems then.

Reactions: es332
clemsonfor said:
Woody Stover said:
BrotherBart said:

WoodpileOCD said:

It may burn as long but there still is not as much heat in them, remember that.

There have been precious few days here that I've needed a LOT of heat this year unfortunately. It can give me a relatively long burn and has let me stay out of my many cord oak stash to give in another year.

Here in the BEAUTIFUL Black Hills of South Dakota I have pretty much 2 choices; Pine or Aspen. There has been a Pine Beetle epidimic, and there are hundreds of thousands of Acres of standing dead ponderosa pine. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love some oak or ash but Pine (and lots of it) is what I got. My 4 year old has a saying "you get what you get and you dont throw a fit!" The stuff seasons in a matter of months and burns hot, what more can a guy wish for...

[quote author="ethanhudson" date="1330336388"]Here in the BEAUTIFUL Black Hills of South Dakota I have pretty much 2 choices; Pine or Aspen. There has been a Pine Beetle epidimic, and there are hundreds of thousands of Acres of standing dead ponderosa pine. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love some oak or ash but Pine (and lots of it) is what I got. My 4 year old has a saying "you get what you get and you dont throw a fit!" The stuff seasons in a matter of months and burns hot, what more can a guy wish for...[/quote]

A guy can wish for 15 cords of the stuff cut to stove length and dumped next door.

Backwoods Savage said:
And hair growth on the palms of your hands. If that spreads to the heel of your foot, you really have some problems then.

And baldness . . . it's the only reason I can come up with as to why I am slowly losing the hair on my head and clogging up the bath tub drain.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And baldness . . . it's the only reason I can come up with as to why I am slowly losing the hair on my head and clogging up the bath tub drain.

Nix that . . . I came up with a second possible explanation . . . Gamma put Nair in her expensive shampoo bottle. :)

Bigg_Redd said:
Pine is great if you don't mind a chimney fire or two. Because that what pine does. It causes chimney fires.

I got dat one figured out. Whenever I burn pine, I'm gonna sit on the roof, next to the Class A pipe with a fire stinguisher. I'm good to go, right? LMAO.

Thanks for all the responses, guys and gal.

Just a thought??? May want to leave a small pile of less desirable pieces to instigate an epidemic. I am thinking there may be others looking for a good place to dump all their "Trash" wood??

Along the lines of, "Hey, look - we can haul all that bucked wood over to the unfinished neighborhood and dump it there"

May be a never ending resourse for you

Great score, by the way

I ended up getting 6 cords...3 for my house, 3 for a relative. C/S/S loosely in full sun for 7 months in humid climate at my house = 10 - 15% MC. C/S/S loosely in full sun for 5 months at relative's house = 20 - 25% MC.And the kicker - All the cul de sacs have been totally cleaned and signs stating $1000 fine for dumping placed everywhere. LOL

Great score! I love having some pine. I've been able to get a fair amount of it for free and it probably reduces the amount of primo hardwood that I need each year by about a half. Lets me save the BL for Jan & Feb when I need it!!

I personally don't burn pine any longer and not because its bad or anything like that, just have an abundance of poplar maple and oak. I have burned it in the past when it was "donated" by a local tree service and it certainly does burn long and hot when properly seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.