pine fungus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
Last summer I cut some dead pine and the next day I had quite a bit of skin irriation on my wrists and forearms. (red - burning/itching rash).
A local builder said that was a result of a fungus in dead pine trees and is common.
Has anyone else heard about this? I still have quite a few dead standing pines on my property that I would like to cut. It would probably be o.k. now that it is winter and I won't have exposed arms.

kobudo said:
Last summer I cut some dead pine and the next day I had quite a bit of skin irriation on my wrists and forearms. (red - burning/itching rash).
A local builder said that was a result of a fungus in dead pine trees and is common.
Has anyone else heard about this? I still have quite a few dead standing pines on my property that I would like to cut. It would probably be o.k. now that it is winter and I won't have exposed arms.

I haven't, but it's certainly possible. You might also have an allergy of some sort, and a third possibility that I thought of right off was to wonder if there was any poison ivy / oak / sumac in the area along with the tree... Having long sleeves will certainly help in any of those cases - I'd also suggest dropping all clothes directly into washing machine when done w/ a session and showering w/ a good soap...

Gooserider

Gooserider i think may be on to something there. the poison from the ivy and oak come from the oils, and when cutting even dormant you are getting right into those oils, and wwhat is funny i never had poison ivy EVER as a kid, and I grew up in the mountains and played army and rode motorcycles, built shacks and so on in the woods my whole life and then a few years back imove to my new house, doing the landscaping i end up with a severe rash which to my surprise waas poison ivy and I am now allergic to it, and for the first 32 years of my life played in it and never any reaction. so even if you never had it before does not mean you cant get it, and my 2nd year in that new house even worse case i got that year..LOL i had it in my groin and in my crack out back ,and let me tell you you never wanna ever get it there, adn LOL no i did not wipe with it.. I probally adjusted my drawers like i do all the time with all the bending of wood.. so keep that in mind when you go to reach back with those gloves and touch bare skin. doctors say the body changes every seven years and most likely why i ended up finally getting it, and yes last year no poison, I worelong sleeves and jeans and no issues. You may alos be having an allergic reaction to the mildew which is very possible too, just because one person does not, doesn't mean you wont... LOL an once of protection is worth a pound of cure... good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.