Pine / Hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many people started burning pine with the EPA stoves that never would with the older stoves.

• I burn only pine to heat my house.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
How many people would burn pine with hardwood if they had land and the pine was down thus being free.

I burn around 40% pine. That wasn't on the poll so I answered the exact opposite and said I would never burn pine.

I don't think the burning of pine correlates to the certification of the stove. I find, around here at least, that most people don't burn pine simply because they've been mis-educated about its supposed "danger" because of its high resin content. The design or certification of a stove will not successfully combat old habits, wives' tales, or willful ignorance.

I love pine.

I'm using pine for my burn-in fires - RIGHT NOW. Does this mean that I can only use pine in the future? I will use it in the shoulder season and to get the fire going during the full-on season.

I have a pile of mixed evergreens seasoning now (not sure if it is pine exactly some is spruce - or is that just another pine?) I haven't burned any yet as it isn't ready. Unless you count the scrap dimensional lumber I've used for kindling. I plan to burn whatever wood I can get - if it's free it's for me :) if it's the best price I'll take it basically. I plan to fill my storage space with whatever I can find and once it's close to full I'll perhaps get picky and aim to maximize the BTU/sq ft of storage space I have. Until then.. whatever comes my way.

This year it is all hardwood. Next year looks to be heavy on the softer woods - pine and poplar with a nice pile of black birch and then a cord of oak in there. I hope to either have some left over oak or dig up some good seasoned oak this spring to add to that hardwood for overnight burns next year or I'll likely be carrying a lot of wood into the house for overnight burns come Jan/Feb of next year. Perhaps I can check the MC of that pine pile in the spring and see if it is good to go this year and start burning it to save some harder woods...

Heat 2500+ upstairs with one Lopi Liberty, And 2500+ downstairs with another Liberty. All are fed with PINE!!!!!! Guess thats why im' PINEBURNER. The non-cat epa stoves dont care what kinda wood as long as its properly dried. That said i have noticed longer burn times with all woods in epa stoves vs. older style non-eps stoves.

And hairy palms and blindness. Oh wait, maybe im thinking of something else.

Can't really answer the poll as we are not burning pine. However, we've never had a problem with burning pine at any time before or since.

Didn't have an option in the list, would need something like don't discriminate against pine or any other free easily had wood.

How about tamarack? does anyone out there try that? hot!!!but to fast for me!!!

That's pretty much all we're burning right now; good old nasty pine. We finally figured out we were getting a wood stove vs. a pellet in late July...so that's when we had the hardwood delivered. I figure any extra seasoning it can get will help at this point in the game. Hopefully, it'll be OK once the pine runs out.

Skier76 said:
That's pretty much all we're burning right now; good old nasty pine. We finally figured out we were getting a wood stove vs. a pellet in late July...so that's when we had the hardwood delivered. I figure any extra seasoning it can get will help at this point in the game. Hopefully, it'll be OK once the pine runs out.

I brought some Cherry in 2 weeks ago measuring 22-24 % moisture and last I took a reading it was 16-18 % and some lower. I have been burning some wood and some pellets since I brought it in. Tops of all our wood has been covered since Sept.

Zap

zapny said:
Skier76 said:

I brought some Cherry in 2 weeks ago measuring 22-24 % moisture and last I took a reading it was 16-18 % and some lower. I have been burning some wood and some pellets since I brought it in. Tops of all our wood has been covered since Sept.

Zap

I need to get a moisture meter to I can get the low down.

Pine is hot - but so is tamarack, poplar, spruce, fir, alder, etc.
With air tight stoves, you can keep the damper tight after it's burning, and you've controlled the run-away fire problem.
I've never had a problem with my chimney with any of these softer woods. Annual cleaning only.
Burn it! :)

Skier76 said:

Your jokes about our softwoods are like our jokes about your ski hills.

Except are jokes are based upon truth.

Skier76 said:
zapny said:
Skier76 said:

Zap

I need to get a moisture meter to I can get the low down.

Skier I just spoke with DR in Vermont and ordered a gasket kit for a DR 6 Ton gen 4 electric splitter, this is my second one I picked up for free. When DR was having problems with the gaskets they would send a new splitter out and not ask for the old ones because of the cost of shipping it back. It's a dirty job taking it apart but worth it.

Zap

I've burned pine in several fireplaces, an insert , an old Jotul and a new Jotul.
Not even a dangling chad there for me.

Precious little pine in this year's stack.
Next year is mostly red oak.
Year after is oak, cherry and pine.

If the price is right, I'll sell the oak.

I told a co-worker about burning pine and he still didn't get it untill I told him how it is usualy cut to stove length and then delivered to my yard free. His responce was that he had just helped a freind drop a few pines and he would be delivering them to my yard shortly. I love pine.

I'll burn it if it's free, but I hate splitting the crap. Not only is it messy, but it's sometimes a real pain to split. If I had nothing else to burn I'd be all over it, but at this point I just have so many better choices that pine is usually only taken if it's delivered and practically processed.

Me . . . I don't discriminate . . . I'm not specist . . . I love, and burn, all tree species without regard to their genetic code.

As for pine, the eastern white pine around here tends to burn hot and fast, so I use it mostly mixed it with other wood, to start the fire or in the shoulder season.

I don't specifically go looking for pine since the pine found on the family land is more valued for its lumber, but when a pine needs to come down around my house or big branches are knocked down in an ice storm it can and will be cut up for use as firewood. About the only pain I have with pine is the sap . . . the trade off, once dry the pine burns well and smells mighty nice.

When I burned wood in Fairbanks, AK it was either White Birch or White Spruce (a relative of pine), and I bet they are still burning spruce there today. As far as I know, the house hasn't burned down, I am not bald, and my palms aren't hairy. My old college roomate, who is the one still burning the spruce, may have hairy palms but that is unrelated to burning spruce. I didn't see the choice 'I burned pine before I had an EPA stove' so I didn't vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.