Pine ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Need a heads up on this variety if possible. My place has these on 2 sides as a windbreak. Lots of them. They are getting old and succumbing to wind storms 1 or 2 every few years. I just wonder if it would be worth trying to use some in the stove? Otherwise I have been CSS them for use outdoors at camp.

Attachments

• pinestand.jpg
    pinestand.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 200
  • pinesplits.jpg
    pinesplits.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 181
  • pinelog.jpg
    pinelog.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 181
  • pinebark.jpg
    pinebark.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 197
  • pineneedles.jpg
    pineneedles.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 142
  • pineneedles2.jpg
    pineneedles2.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 160
  • pinecones.jpg
    pinecones.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 154
Tried to get more pics. Not as good as I had hoped. Each group of needles has 5. E. White Pine does as well. The trunks are knarly and not straight however? Seems odd. Trees are likely 60+ ' tall. 18" to 24" dia. Splits nice!

Looks very much like the white pine I've been working with over last couple months.

Meaning you are burning it in a indoor stove? I am guessing if I get it good and dry I can use/mix it in without much trouble.

eastern white pine

the "crookedness" is likely the result of repeated pine weevil infestations.

I have several acres of mostly white pine. It burns. Hot. and fast.

Planted in an open field rather than understory they will grow large side branches and be real tough to split. In a hydraulic splitter they can pop and go flying. Multiple tops, which might be from weevils too.

I mix it in. I burn it alone when I have time to keep feeding the stove. I don't fill the stove like I would oak or maple either. A little less feed air .

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet_Pete
100% white pine

Funny planting white pine as a windbreak - they're the tallest-growing tree in the East and are prone to blow-down even in a closed-canopy forest!

Meaning you are burning it in a indoor stove? I am guessing if I get it good and dry I can use/mix it in without much trouble.

Sorry about not being clear. I've been cleaning a lot of it up after having some tree removal done. I am most the way done with processing it for firewood in my indoor stove for the 16'-17' burning season. There are many pine related threads on this site if you do a search for them. Any questions you have should be answered there.

Burn it in your stove for sure. One of the things I like using the quick burning woods for is in between scheduled burn times. For example, we all time our burns so that it fits with our schedules. If I find myself in a situation where im not quite ready to reload the stove for my over night burn Ill put in some spruce that will give me 3 hours of hot fast heat and then Im ready for my overnight burn. Same as when I come home from work,,, if my timing is a bit off Ill burn a low btu wood to pick up the slack. Dont waste it, you have lots of good firewood there.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks for the replies. Actually I am much more optimistic about utilizing this stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.