PINE IN A cADDY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtreads

Nov 29, 2008
ANY ONE HERE BURN PINE IN A CADDY ? IM CONCERNED THAT 1. THE FIRE BOX IS SMALL AND 2. THAT THE ASH WILL BUILD UP AND REQUIRE CLEANING ALL THE TIME. 3. THAT i WILL HAVE TO FEED THE THING EVERY HOUR DUE TO THE SMALL BOX.

bigtreads said:
ANY ONE HERE BURN PINE IN A CADDY ? IM CONCERNED THAT 1. THE FIRE BOX IS SMALL AND 2. THAT THE ASH WILL BUILD UP AND REQUIRE CLEANING ALL THE TIME. 3. THAT i WILL HAVE TO FEED THE THING EVERY HOUR DUE TO THE SMALL BOX.

Welcome!

Pine is a low density fuel compared to hardwoods. However, it does heat the space, just with higher fuel consumption. There is a great deal of information about this subject here on Hearth.com

I think all of your concerns make sence , I have burned soft maple in my Caddy and have to clean more ashes and feed it more wood than I have to with cherry or hard maple.

How do you like your caddy.

How the wood consumption with the caddy? Also whats your square footage and burntimes. Someone I had talked to said they were pretty much auto. Just load the firebox and walk away. Are they on a thermostat? I wanted to get one this year, and I wasn't financing one for 2000 on a 22% interest card. I figured I'll save and pay cash.

I have no idea if I like it yet - it gets installed on thursday/friday. I went and picked it up early from the company that is going to do the install for me and fired it up in the yard to burn off the worst of the paint. I was more than a little disappointed in the fire box size and depth so I thought I'dd ask for some other oppinions . I don't have much choice as this is the only stove/furnace that meets the new local regs. So I suppose I was wanting to hear someone say that "it's ok it kicks out the heat with hardly any wood and doesn't make any ash looks great and costs next to nothing" :coolsmile: Being here in the west I have no access to hard wood other than the odd fruit tree so it's Jack Pine Spuce and Fir for me. I have 14 cords in the basement and most is going to be on the large size for this fire box. I was feeding an old RSF Energy that would take a 26" by 13" log - about 7-8 to fill the fire box. Looks like about 1/4 of that in the caddy

Although I havn't burned softwoods in our Caddy, I don't think you should run into major issues. Just be sure not to overfire the unit, as pine will give off a lot of heat in a short amount of time.

Yes, you may be removing ash more than what you would with hardwoods, but again, I wouldn't get too concerned. A few shovel fulls each morning should do the trick.

For what it's worth, our moderately insulated house just went through a fairly good test day this week. Outside temps were -10C during the day, and -16C overnight. Our house is about 1600 sq ft, and we used 10-12 hardwood splits that day (average size of a split was 6in by 16in). The house stayed at 20-21C all day and night. When I got up the next morning, the house was at 18-19C, and there was a decent bed of coals in order to get the morning fire going.

Oh, and yes, it does have a thermostat that is hooked up to the damper control motor. My wife is loving it!

Hope this helps!

I will have to keep an eye on the over fire thing as I basically ran the old rsf wide open most of the time only limited by the amount of air it could draw through the damper. Got my fingers crossed that I will like this thing. By the time the liner is in and the stove installed this upgrade will run 8Gs - so it will completely suck if I don't like it.

PUT DOWN THE PINE!!! YOU WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN*!!! Drop it off at my house and I will properly dispose of it for you.

*note sarcasm, pine will burn fine, but like others have said, watch out for over firing.

Just had to stop in when I read the title -- thought maybe it was a story about cuttin down trees and loading them in the Escalade .
Like the old saying wood is wood burn what you got. I got 3 pine trees from my neighbor last summer and will be burning them next season I just mix it in with some of the harder wood and it works fine.

no such thing as harder wood in my area unless you mean Fir - harder than pine but still a soft wood. So far the install has me Mad as the guys just figured out now that they need a bunch of duct work made differently - so much for staying home from work and helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.