Pine in my rear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
I noticed this dead pine early this past spring, its in fairly close proximity to the pool area. I was hopping to wait until cooler weather to take it down, but the impending hurricane remants kinda forced my hand into dropping it where I want it and not on the deck/pool.
The sweetgum nearby had different plans.
I eventually got it off the stump by twisting it with my timberjack/snatch block and 4wheeler.
This is where it will stand until the gum limb gives up the fight.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 119
I'd get rid of the wet gum also. Nothing will ruin a day fa
Ster than stepping on a pricker ball with bare feet.

Matt

When I first seen the topic title I was expecting to hear about you sitting on some pine needles or splinters..._g:eek:

Reactions: Realstone
Yikes! :eek:
Flag off the ares so no one goes near the trees.
It will fall, just don't want anyone around when it does.
Scary to leave those hanging.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
May hold it till that pine rots and breaks. The gum looks smaller, cut it and burn it in rounds, if to big leave that part in the woods to rot. I cut many sweetgums down and just jump butted the part that was to big to burn. I also have split some 8" diameter sweetgum with out to much trouble ONE time!

I started messing with this tree saturday ~noon, after getting a tag line in it cut and stuck I gave up ~5ish.
Tried multiple different pull angles and then used the timberjack as leverage to twist it off the stump, it broke the first gum limb but the next one down is bigger.
I didn't want to try and back cut (like a normal leaner) with it pinched on the stump like that. I spent ~6hrs on Sunday screwing with it

The Gum is ~20in diameter , I had about a 5ft window to drop the pine but a slight downhill lean apparently caused the snag as it started going over - even with a snatch block and tag line.

One of those jobs that you figure 3-4hrs to C/S/S and turns into a royal PITA. It'll atleast fall into the woods and not the deck which was the original intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.