Pine Moisture Level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teekal

Nov 28, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
So what's the deal with pine? Hadn't cut any before this fall. But A couple that I hauled away for my uncle I split and the moisture level was right around 20%, some was even a bit below. I burn at 20% and below, but does it make sense that this tree didn't season at all? Is it good to burn if I mix it in with some drier stuff?

Thanks for any advice.
Ty

So what's the deal with pine? Hadn't cut any before this fall. But A couple that I hauled away for my uncle I split and the moisture level was right around 20%, some was even a bit below. I burn at 20% and below, but does it make sense that this tree didn't season at all? Is it good to burn if I mix it in with some drier stuff?
How and where did you test the moisture content?

I measured in the middle of a fresh split
was it standing dead? If so it is possible that it is dry. Do you really trust your meter? Did you test more than one split? What temp was it?

Also, better moister meters have multiple settings (mine has 4 settings) for different types of wood (hard / soft), maybe your model is just made for hardwood? Standing dead I think would be the only way it could read in or under 20%.....

My moisture reader has different setting for firewood/lumber. It was on the firewood setting, and it's never steered me wrong before. I had some other pieces that were in the mid 20's that I set aside to season in the backyard.

I also tested some cedar and it was under 20 as well. I texted my "firewood buddy" and he said both of those species tend to hold less moisture than others, so if they sit for a month or so this fall they should be good to go. I am going to mix it in with my really dry stuff (around 10-15%) and should be good.

Reactions: TedyOH
It was on the firewood setting, and it's never steered me wrong before.

Even with low-density woods (like pine)? The moisture meters I'm familiar with will read low on lightweight species, so your reading of 20% might actually be 25% or more on pine.

What does the MM say on the lumber setting (probably calibrated for spruce/pine/fir)?

Either way it sounds like you're much closer to dry than green.

Reactions: Seanm
I agree with you @DoubleB. Moisture meters will give a bit of a false promise on pine. Saying that though I will burn lodgepole pine when it reads under 20% mc. On a hot bed of coals it will ignite fast and burn clean. @teekal was this tree standing dead? Ive harvested lots of standing dead coniferous trees that were truly under 20% and some below 10% mc. For reference I have found standing dead trees under 20% mc which includes larch, spruce, fir and lodgepole pine. In fact I plan on dropping a few more for this winters burning. Pine will dry in the round despite what some say but its best to split it asap. Most moisture meters are calibrated to doug fir at 70F so perhaps wood temperature is also playing a roll here.

Reactions: BigFir
you go blind if you burn pine. and your chimney will catch on fire.

Reactions: JabaduGarfunkle
It's dry, the beauty of softwood, they dry quickly! Standing or split! Burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.