1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pine Needles as pellets, or other fuel?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by orangecrushcj7, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangecrushcj7

orangecrushcj7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Barre MA
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making pine needle pellets. I have boatloads of dead, dry, White Pine pine needles every fall. I know there are make your own pellet mills out there, however, I don't want to perform a $2000 experiment. I think they would probably burn just as well as softwood pellets.

I wonder what would happen if I somehow made them small enough to pass thru the auger, if I could add some in with regular factory made pellets? I usually mow them up, that might chop them up good. Or use an old food processer?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. strangemainer

strangemainer New Member

Loc:
    Waterboro, Maine
    dude..let me know how that works out. I got a boatload of pine needles in my yard as well!
  3. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    i WOULD SUGGEST RE-THINKING THE IDEA OF THROWING THEM IN WITH YOUR PELLETS, BUT IF YA DO IT, LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS. PICS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oops, sorry for caps
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    There is a briquette thread going on in the hearth room. It's titled wood chips.

Matt
  5. orangecrushcj7

orangecrushcj7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Barre MA
    Matt - let me know on here, or PM when you try out your leaf briquettes. I would be interested in hearing how the work. I may be interested in making pine needle briquettes, if you have success.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.