1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pine ok to burn if mixed?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by johnsopi, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    So is it ok to burn Pine if you mix it with other wood. Just got a lot of Maple and theres a few trees that might be pine in the pile. It's a log pile so no leaves. The wood does not smell like pine and it is not sticky. It is white any heavy. I got two load today and going too get the rest tomorrow. Even if it is Pine it might be rude just to take the good wood. Plus theres 2 more big pile on the land that I'm going to ask about.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    pine is a terrible fuel, avoid it at all costs, if you send it to me i will dispose of it properly. :coolgrin:
  3. Homefire

Homefire New Member

You just be sure it is dry when you burn it.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If is is heavy it is wet and doesn't need to be put in a stove this year no matter what it is. As to the pine question, seasoned pine burns just as well and clean as any other wood. It just does not burn as long on an equivilant size split basis as hardwood. I have burned nothing but pine for October and November and will start on the oak when I need longer burns.

Let the latest pine marathon begin!
  5. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Good, this wood is for the 2008-2009 winter. There a lot wood at this site. They cleared a big lot for baseball fields, the contectors left the trees limbed in 3 big piles now the owners what it out of there. I'm not sure they have any one but me wanting the wood but there must be 15-20 pickup truck loads. I'm going to work it each day till its gone. Just a helpful kind of guy.
    MSG shipping would be a killer.
  6. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    The pine that Warren, another forum member gave me is light, real lightweight, and burns fast and hot. I mix it with other wood, and it is excellent.Again as Warren told me, burn it on hot coals, and in moderation, with mixed wood!
  7. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    Pine burns fast because it is less dense. When set on a hot bed of coals, the heat penetrates through the split more quickly. One thing you can do is to process pine into larger-sized pieces than you would with hardwood, equivalent in weight to a hardwood split you'd normally use. That will help slow it down some. I actually prefer pine rounds to splits.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.