Pine Sap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Obviously you can burn pine.

I have some small-medium sized splits of some kind of pine, I believe white pine. 5-6 of the splits have globs of somewhat dried orange sap that has bled out onto the ends of the wood (total volume is about a table spoon). I imagine the sap will burn well, but I'm not sure if it has a high moisture content and will significantly detract from the burn.

Any ideas before I try to burn it?

No matter what you have, season it. That pine will burn well after a year.

I've seen old timers scrape a gob of it and chew it like gum. I tried it and it tasted like crap. Just stick to burning it after it is well seasoned.

Bondo said:
Spruce Gum is Not the same as Pine Pitch,....
DOH! Wrong tree. At least it wasn't a Balsam. Did I ever mention I really hate Balsam?

LLigetfa said:
Bondo said:
Spruce Gum is Not the same as Pine Pitch,....
DOH! Wrong tree. At least it wasn't a Balsam. Did I ever mention I really hate Balsam?

OK, I've got to ask . . . why do you hate balsam firs so much? Around here at least I find them quite fragrant and a pretty tree . . . while I will pretty much only cut one for firewood if it's in my way (they're much better as Christmas trees or for pulp) they've never seemed to be an especially bad tree to have around.

Balsam Fir has those "blisters" of sticky sap... gets everywhere. Their dead branches are as tough as nails. I've had two accidents with my chainsaw while de-limbing where I ruined protective clothing and drew blood. Once you get it in the house, it stinks. When you burn it, it shoots sparks like firecrackers.

I remember once bringing in a Balsam for a Christmas tree and My mother made me get rid of it because it stank.

Status
Not open for further replies.