Pine sap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
I had to cut a large pine tree that fell and knocked the power lines off of my brother-in-law's house. My son was dragging and loading it into my truck. His coat got a fair amount of pine sap on it. Does anyone know how to remove pine sap from clothing?

Peanut Butter will take it off your hands. I dont know about a coat. Im sure youd have to wash it after. I use Simple Green to take it off my saw blades.

Pine sap is really hard to get out of clothes. I cut a lot of black spruce (pine) and you get sap on EVERYTHING. I went through a couple of shirts and pants before I figured out how hard pine sap is to remove. Remove is really not the word to use, nothing I have found really removes pine sap except time and lots of elbow grease. I have learned to use the same set of work clothes when cutting pine........if you come acress something that will remove sap easily let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Worse yet try getting it off the side of firebox, after stupidly starting a fire with the stuff instead of waiting till theres a hot bed of coals to burn it!!! Crap!!!!!! Thanks for the how to effectivly burn pine tip Warren, I shoulda listened to you first!!!!

How to remove Pine sap from clothes - internet search

Rubbing alcohol blotted should do the trick.
The rubbing alcohol worked great! Simple, Readily available and effective Thanks

Here is what I think is the best.
Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and wet a rag. Blot if on clothes, if on hands pour alcohol in a bowl and vigorously scrub. Pitch will come right off and hands are clean again. Ladies, you may want to follow up with lotion as the alcohol will dry out your skin.

Things You'll Need
You will need a wash cloth and alcohol(or gasoline).
Instructions
STEP 1: Take the wash cloth and pour alcohol(or gasoline)on it. STEP 2: Rub the sap until it comes off completely. STEP 3: If the sap doesn't come off, add gasoline. STEP 4: Wash off any extra alcohol(or gasoline).

OFF bug repelent worked very well, it took the sap right off my nylon jacket and jeans

re: I tried mayo, olive oil and baby oil along with other ideas. What worked? THe "OFF" it was like magic.
thanks to all you people who suggested "OFF" you have saved the hood of my van, and the bugs are staying away also! I do suggest that you rinse with warm soapy water directly after rubbing the sap away as i have no idea what the long term effects of "Off" will be on the paint job.

RE: Removing Pine Tree Sap
Post By Hermit (Guest Post) (07/21/2006)

I tried all of these suggestions. What finally worked was superglue remover on a textured cleaning cloth. Came right off.

Post By robert e. gillespie (Guest Post) (09/01/2005)

discovered by trial and error:

works FANTASTICALLY

BEACON FLOOR WAX REMOVER removed heavy thick, spots of tree sap...car was covered...TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETELY REMOVE OFF TWO CARS...

other brands of similarly constituted floor wax remover will probably work equally well.

Post By robert e. gillespie (Guest Post) (09/01/2005)

discovered by trial and error:

works FANTASTICALLY

BEACON FLOOR WAX REMOVER removed heavy thick, spots of tree sap...car was covered...TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETELY REMOVE OFF TWO CARS...

other brands of similarly constituted floor wax remover will probably work equally well.

Use butter - Place some butter on the sap and let it set for 10 minutes. Finish with a regular wash.

Not sure about pine sap, never had to deal with it on clothing It is listed on the manuifacturers site though. You could ask the folks there, but I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Charlie's Soap. http://www.charliesoap.com/index.asp I got interested in it after getting my front loader. I use 1 small tbsp of the detergent in my washing machine. It cleans beautifully wihtout all the excess fillers that things like tide have. The all purpose liquid cleaner is just a must for any homeowner. It is incredible stuff I tell you. I use it full strength as a spot treater in my laundry. I use it diluted to clean floors. I spray it on my kids play equipment full strength in the spring and hten hose it down. We recently used it full strength on a plastic childs play house that has been sitting outside for the past 2 years and was filthy dirty. We wanted to pass it on to a neighbor, but wanted to spiffy it up before we did. Looks almost brand new. Got my dad hooked on it. He now uses it to clean bugs off his fifth wheeler. Owners of the company told me I could use a small capful of it in my window washer of my truck next time we head south to help deal with those monstrous bugs they have down there that splatter all over your windshield. I gave it to my roofers to try a few years ago when they got covered in tar, sprayed it on them, let it sit a bit and scrubbed it off. I haven't come across much that isn't helped by it. Not affiliated with the company in any way, just a VERY satisfied, long time customer. If anyone tries it and likes it, I have an email wiht all sorts of dilutions for different problems.

You wouldn't believe how sharp your outdoor power equipment will look after a quick washing with this stuff! No more grease, gunk. Try it, you might just like it. It has taken the place of many, mnay different products in our household.

pine-sol

This procedure should work:

If it's not going already, light the stove and work up to a good hot bed of coals (ya' wanna be warm for this don't you).

While the stove is warming, collect the pine sap stained cloths into a small pile. Lay the cloths out flat on the floor, beginning with the largest piece on the bottom. Continue to stack the cloths until all are in a nice flat pile. Fold the long sides of the pile on top to create a strip about 18" wide. Roll the strip tightly and bind the roll with bailing twine.

Take the pine sap stained clothing log you just made and chuck it into the stove...Pine Sap Gone!

Use mineral spirits. When splitting a bunch of pine this year I got that stuff all over my jeans. Minera spirits got it off my hands and the jeans in seconds. Then just wash in normal cycle.

I hope everyone stays clear of any electric lines. Even though they may not look like much, they can kill you real quick.

Best part about it was when I got to his house, the lines were down by his front door. I told him to stay away from them. He told me not to worry, there was no electricity in them. I asked him if Duquesne Light had shut off the power, he said no but it was safe because they weren't connected to the house anymore! Makes you wonder how he lived to be 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.