Pine Slab for Coffee Table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I thought I put this up but here it goes again, the length is 48 inches, width is around 22-24 inches with the thickness at 2.75 inches. In picture 5313 & 5314, I think the coffee table top will be the one on the left.

Starting Sunday I'll be looking for some Hemlock for the legs.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5302.JPG
    100_5302.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_5303.JPG
    100_5303.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_5304.JPG
    100_5304.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_5307.JPG
    100_5307.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_5310.JPG
    100_5310.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_5312.JPG
    100_5312.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_5313.JPG
    100_5313.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 100_5314.JPG
    100_5314.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 149
Thanks Loon & PapaDave, heading back in the woods tomorrow for the legs then for some shoulder season wood cutting.

zap

Are you goin to keep the live edge on it? I think those look cool that way.

lookin good as usual, Zap. The mill I was going to buy, the deal fell through. Well, more like I got screwed on the deal. Back to square one. I am going to have my one buddy (who has a roundblade mill) do up the poplar and white oak logs from last week's job. I'll post pics when I get the work done.

Lukem, my plans are to keep the live edge, I think the wife likes the looks of it that way too.

S.O., sorry about the deal heading south on you, sounds like you'll still get it done.

zap

Reactions: DexterDay
Great stuff Zap,keep up the good work.Will be beautiful when its finished.

Had enough time tonight to seal the tops and ends of the four slabs, looks like with the weather it will be Thursday before I can seal the bottoms. The slabs started cracking the day I milled them so any ideas on filling the cracks in the slabs.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5320.JPG
    100_5320.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_5321.JPG
    100_5321.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_5322.JPG
    100_5322.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_5323.JPG
    100_5323.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 156
my buddy who does the chainsaw carving uses something on his carvings I think it is called Helmsman's Spar. I'll google it later and see if I can find anything out. He does the carvings on green logs, also does benches and what not. Puts that stuff on it green, says it's the bomb.

Zap, I'm not an expert but I have bought and air dried a lot fresh milled lumber for making furniture. I have never sealed anything but the ends. It is best to seal the ends as soon as possible, that should prevent the cracking. Those cracks develop because the ends dry faster then the top and bottom. When I had a wide piece that had cracked while drying I would just rip it along the crack and glue it back together. You would have a hard time finding the glue line and if you didn't know it was ripped you would never see it. If you do a little research on making furniture you will find most of the time when a piece wider then 8" is used ripping it is a common practice. If you don't believe me take a close look at some finely made furniture. There is a lot of stress on a board when drying and ripping helps relieve that stress. Now I have to admit I don't have much experience with pieces thicker then 1 1/2" but I would think most of what I know would still apply to the thick pieces.

One other thing you might try is to cut the pieces longer then you need them, then just cut them to size once they are dry and you are ready to use them. Sealing just the ends as soon as you cut them is still recommended.

Reactions: ScotO
Noted JoeyD. Two of the slabs cracked just after milling them, this will be my first coffee table (adirondack style) build. Looks like it will dry outside for a this summer then inside for the winter, next spring I'll see how the slab looks but either way it's getting done.

I will do one for a coffee table on the porch before winter.

zap

When you dry outside you do cover the tops right? Did you ever look into a solar kiln? That would speed things up, You may be able to make a few dollars selling lumber also. Maybe enough for a down payment on that wood mizer that you know you need/ want. ;)

Yes we top cover the wood when it's outside. I did look at building a solar kiln but it never went any farther. WoodMizer, maybe one of these days.

zap

Ordered 3 different size tenon cutters which we should have for the end of next week, come fall I'll take one of the slabs that cracked to make a small coffee table for the porch, trial run.

zap

Attachments

• tenon cutters.jpg
    tenon cutters.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Man zap, that's gonna' make it nice.
Brother and I made a table for him but had the tenons cut at a local place. Looked real hard at getting a set of those at the time.

I've see them on the internet and often thought about getting a set to try out. I'll wait to see how Zappy likes 'em first........did you get matching forstner bits to do the slab holes?

Not yet S.O., I'll see in about a week what I'll use.

PapaDave, not sure how nice it will be but I'll put up a pic either way.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.